Roast my external waste stack

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Rob83, Aug 20, 2021.

1. Rob83

Rob83 New Member

Hello one and all.

Neighbours had a builder over this afternoon for a quote on their new conservatory. They thought we were out and the subject turned to our external waste stack in the back garden. It was recently fixed there to remove the internal waste stack from our small bathroom. Anyway, they basically were saying it's ugly. The tradesman referred to it as "special".

I am actually not offended by this and considered it quite insightful feedback that you wouldn't get face-to-face. But hmm, not entirely sure whether it was warranted, maybe the tradesman was mocking it to give the impression he works to a very high standard. Maybe he was just a weird person. Or maybe he's spot on.

Anyway, what better place to confirm or deny his theory than here.

So please, I cordially invite you to roast my external waste stack. Or not! Whatever you think of it, your honest opinion is hugely welcome.

IMG_20210820_140234.jpg IMG_20210820_140228.jpg IMG_20210820_140045.jpg

2. It's a * pipe!

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 23, 2021
  3. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

Seen something similar in an art gallery once , was titled modern art .

4. dcox

dcox Screwfix Select

Wow. Certainly special. Not seen one quite like that before. I’d put it in the ‘function over form’ category.

RobJamesHeating likes this.
  5. FlyByNight

FlyByNight Screwfix Select

They were being polite ...

there would have been much better ways to do that ... and even leaving the labels on :eek:

You could sell that design to an Amusment Park for one of their flumes.

6. Rob83

Rob83 New Member

Thanks all - really appreciate the honest feedback. Think I will probably get someone over to reinvent it.

If anyone has pictures of a handsome waste pipe (did I just say that?) that would be cool, just to know what I'm going for.

7. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

"Waste" of good piping!!

8. FlyByNight

If the neighbours decide to use that tradesman for their conservatory, ask him to do it! He obviously knows a lot about soil stacks - just wait until yours appears on face book.

9. I’m sure it works fine but it is a very strange way of doing it lol. Really depends on whether u want to pay to make it look better or u are happy with it as is.

10. longboat

longboat Screwfix Select

I soiled myself laughing.
    Whoever did that was taking the pee.

11. Muzungu

Muzungu Screwfix Select

Execrable design.

12. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Lots of toilet humour here!

13. FlyByNight

You must be flush with cash to waste it on such a crap design. Your rationale just does not stack up and seeing that on a regular basis will drive you round the bend. But at least your admittance to dumping it can be acknowledged.

Thesecondfavourite likes this.
  14. cleggie

cleggie Active Member

why did he use all those parts.He could have just come staright down and into the property.then just gone straight onto the downpipe with t pieces.That design is uneccessary and way too many pieces than needed.so yes its an eyesore

koolpc likes this.
  15. woodbutcherbower

woodbutcherbower Screwfix Select

Looks brilliant.

From space.

16. FlyByNight

:D Did I wipe out the opposition? :D And I must be flushed with success! :D

17. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Was it designed by Elon?

18. Bob Rathbone

Bob Rathbone Screwfix Select

Looks like a well fixed stack, the proportions at the top are good, at the bottom it is over the top, could have been cone with fewer fittings.

19. Coaster

Coaster Member

how many support brackets does an internal stack pipe needs ? As mine has none just one at the top, about 1/2 foot front the start and the bottom is connected to the old pipe, again 1/2 a foot and no support in the middle, is this ok?