What am I doing wrong here

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by Dan Archer, Aug 24, 2021.

1. Dan Archer

Dan Archer New Member

In the middle of renovating our first home, have just made it onto the 3rd bedroom and painted the ceilings, now onto the walls but I have these roller marks after the second coat (knew I would be doing at least 3 as ended up doing a load more filling after the first coat because the marks became easier to spot)

I feel like I have done everything as I have watched and not had this problem on the other walls I have painted so far, although did have it on the ceiling in another room.

I load the roller, run out a line straight down then bring it up into a second line next to it, roll it in then lay it off. Next load of paint I overlap 1/3rd to half of the last line then repeat

I know things will be exaggerated because of the Window being right against the wall in this room but is there anything I can do to cover these in the next coat?

Just using standard Dulux in this room as (regrettably) was on offer, usually like to use Dulux easy care and has to be said that was much nicer to work with, this basic Dulux is like jelly at times.

Any input much appreciated

Attached Files:

2. spannerw

spannerw Screwfix Select

I’m no expert but I reckon the pro,s will suggest watering down the emulsion, normally about 10%.

3. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Change roller head maybe?

4. Dan Archer

Dan Archer New Member

Interested in this, what difference would that likely make as im only using the basic Prodec ones from the competition currently

5. cleggie

cleggie Active Member

use an emulsion brush on next coat then another coat with a short pile roller

6. jack Harry

jack Harry New Member

Good Efforts

7. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Go horizontally with 18 inch roller in one direction.
    Start at top.
    Drop 16 inches and roll.
    Drop again.

Best way is to spray but that won't happen but always best finish
    Also looks shiny? Silk or durable? That's not helping. Will never be perfect with critical angle

8. glob@l

glob@l Active Member

With a lot of filling do painters tend to get this right first time?