Why lacquer peel on a newly installed engineered wood flooring?

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by AlexW3, Aug 29, 2021.

1. AlexW3

AlexW3 New Member

I've got engineered wood flooring installed about 4 weeks ago and start noticing patches/areas with lacquer lifting form the wooden floor, mainly around the areas of wood imperfections (nots, cracks, etc.) and where the board connect to each other (see pictures). I've measured the room humidity and it was all within the norm. The floor is glued to the concrete with Underfloor heating set at 22 all the time.
    Any ideas if this the material defect or something to do with the installation, any thoughts?
    Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. woodbutcherbower

woodbutcherbower Screwfix Select

Did the flooring arrive pre-finished, or was it lacquered after laying?

3. AlexW3

AlexW3 New Member

Arrived like this in the boxes, already lacquered, did not touch it.

4. woodbutcherbower

woodbutcherbower Screwfix Select

I'm presuming the manufacturer stipulated suitability for use with u/f heating? Any coating on pre-finished engineered boards should last for ages. I've never seen peeling like that in 30 years of being in the game - let alone just 4 weeks after being laid. I think you need to talk to the supplier.

5. AlexW3

AlexW3 New Member

I've got the floor from https://www.luxuryflooringandfurnishings.co.uk/elgin-royale-oak-190-x-20-6mm.html, it does say its UFH compatible. Really don't understand why this happened..