Painting B&Q 'slab' Doors

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by Jimbo, Sep 1, 2021.

1. Jimbo

Jimbo Screwfix Select

I'm repurposing some B&Q units in my garage. The doors are ivory and I'd like to paint them flat black, e.g. with Plastikote or some other spray paint.

Any thoughts on type of paint to use? The doors are flat 18mm MDF with some kind of melamine type wrap.

2. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

You need a paint that’s suitable for painting a plastic surface as that’s essentially what the vinyl wrap on your doors is

No ideas on the Platikote, check out the data sheet for the product

Another paint to consider, although not a spray, is Bedec MSP. Can get almost a spray type finish with technique and foam / mohair roller

Another one to throw in the mix, although I’ve never used it is V33 paint, B&Q sell it (probably others as well)

Or prime the doors with Zinsser BIN then can use pretty much any paint ……. More or less !

Jimbo likes this.
  3. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Scotch pad but very fine or it will scratch. Get them real clean.
    Zinsser all coat black satin off the shelf will stick
    Kolour bond make paint for plastic... As above post and maybe spray cans

Jimbo likes this.
  4. BillyBobToo

BillyBobToo Active Member

Ask a car wrapping company.

5. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

Actually for a full kitchen of doors(20 or so), this is actually a perfect answer. They will be fully experienced in the most important bit........cleaning. And will no doubt be fully experienced in wrapping as well. No amount of guesswork in spraying will come anywhere near to a proper Vinyl wrap done by a pro.

6. McSport

McSport Screwfix Select

Hell68 likes this.
  7. Hell68

Hell68 Active Member

Take the old vinyl (melamine) off (heat gently with a hairdryer and it should just peel off) then depending on what the doors are made of you could either sand(?) prime and paint or prime and rewrap with vinyl as McSport says. Vinyl warehouse have a good choice

Last edited: Sep 4, 2021