Picture rail hanger

Discussion in 'Other Trades Talk' started by john9159, Sep 6, 2021.

1. john9159

john9159 New Member

I need an extending arm of some sort to hang a Moroccan lamp on picture rail.
    The closest description I can give is a plant pot hanging bracket but it must be suitable for hanging on picture rail.
    Thanks

2. Muzungu

Muzungu Screwfix Select

I get what you mean but must admit to being puzzled as to why you want to do it like that, it's going to be very insecure. For example is the flex to the light just going to be dropping down and plugged into a socket? Does it need to be unhooked regularly for some reason?

No doubt you have your reasons; it would be interesting to know what they are.

I-Man likes this.
  3. john9159

john9159 New Member

Aha, it will have either candle, for which it was intended, or flickering lights or maybe nothing and just for show as I have two, one for each corner of the fireplace.

4. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Sometimes you have to think outside the box a little - or spend some time looking over the internet for a suitable bracket (I’m guessing you’ve already done this) :)

Couple ideas I can think of;

As you say, a plant pot hanging bracket, although designed to be fixed vertically, fix it horizontally to the picture rail, and twist the end hook 90 degrees to the correct orientation

Depending on the design of the bracket, this may or may not be possible

Also take a look at ‘hanging plant bracket for concrete posts’

Several types available but find the type with a square metal strap that goes around concrete post. Then cut away the strap on both sides, just leaving the front section

Drill couple screw holes, file and paint cut ends and, may just work ?

Couple options to consider at least

5. Truckcab79

Truckcab79 Screwfix Select

Local blacksmith or metalworker probably your best bet but if you want an off the peg solution your other option is probably going to be shopfit fittings. Look for arms designed to be hung on slatwall or on what is referred to as an RSB or rear support bar. Issue you’ll have is finding one that is designed to hook over something as thick as a picture rail and is also aesthetically pleasing.

Try Morplan, or Peerless or just Google shopfit fittings. They’re not likely to want to entertain single items as they are commercial suppliers but might give you an idea of what is out there and you can then get something made. I can get it designed and manufactured for you but will be incredibly expensive for small numbers.

6. Truckcab79

The other thing to hear in mid of course if the amount of weight you are now putting on the picture rail and that weight using the long hook as a lever to pull the rail off the wall. Picture hooks are flat against the wall so that the weight is acting in shear. Not designed to be levered in that way. Depends on the amount of weight you’re intending of course.

7. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

I was going to suggest in my above post to drill through picture rail and screw and plug into wall behind - but thought maybe a little obvious ?

Muzungu likes this.
  8. Truckcab79

Not at all. A little obvious would be to ignore the picture rail and just find a nice wall bracket. :DThat would be my option. ‘Vintage wall hanging bracket’ etc on eBay or Etsy. Much easier. Probably a nicer look too to be honest.

9. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Wasn’t having a pop at you mate when I said it’s obvious to fix through rail and into wall

But then, it may not be obvious to the OP, no offence meant to anyone, we just don’t know the skill levels / experience of peeps on the forum

As to the whole issue of fixing the bracket to the picture rail, and not either above or below it - again, we just don’t know the reason why, only the OP knows the answer to this

10. Truckcab79

Sorry Dave. No offence taken and certainly none intended on my part. The joy of forums! Perfectly sensible suggestion and I wasn’t intending to decry it if that’s how it came across.

To be honest I’m always conscious about giving any answer on forums that doesn’t directly answer the OP question as it’s difficult to not come across as if you’re ignoring their request and just giving them the answer to something they didn’t ask. At the same time it may just be they haven’t yet thought or are aware of a ‘better’ way.

All the best.