MOT Type 1 help

Discussion in 'Landscaping and Outdoors' started by Ar007, Sep 7, 2021.

1. Ar007

Ar007 New Member

Hello all. I require some advice regarding a base we’ve just had put down...

A while ago I had a groundworks guy come to have a look at a job- we specified we required a base for a livestock shed (which couldn’t be concrete) and he suggested MOT type 1, compacted down with a roller. All sounded great, fast forward several weeks to yesterday and him and his team came out and did just that. However the hardcore is extreme loose, I can easily dig down several inches with just my boot, so there’s no way it’s going to stand up to cows or horses. I phoned him earlier to voice my concerns and long story cut short he wasn’t overly helpful. He’s suggested wetting it over the next few days, and on me pushing the issue he has said he’ll come back out to take a look if that doesn’t help (I’m not holding out much hope that sprinkling it with a hose is going to make that much difference).

Does anyone have any advice on how to sort this? I’m sure I’ve had type 1 put down before which set almost like concrete, whereas this might as well be a pile of loose gravel! There appears to be plenty of dust within it, as well as various sizings of stone, so not sure what the issue is.

Thanks

2. jonathanc

jonathanc Guest

I think type 1 is a terrible base for animal hooves. You’ll have all sorts of trouble with the fines getting into feet

Maybe better to go for crushed rock about 10mm ish?

3. Ar007

Ar007 New Member

Thanks. They’ll have rubber matting and a decent straw bed on top. That said, the majority of our gateways are type 1 and we haven’t any issues.

4. jonathanc

jonathanc Guest

Ok well it seems as if it’s not properly compacted !

5. Truckcab79

Truckcab79 Screwfix Select

Roller or whacker plate?

He’s right that water will help as it washes the fines through and fills any tiny gaps. More of an ‘added extra’ than design feature though. Ask him to wet it and then compact it. Not an unreasonable request if it’s as loose as you say. Properly done it should be a solid mass as you’ve described.

6. Severntrent

Severntrent Screwfix Select

Need to take a sample and have it sieved to see if it is within spec. Has it got 2.5" stones in it or is it all finer stuff. Imagine a layer of sand or a layer of interacting angular stones, mot is a combination of the 2

7. Adamfya

Adamfya Screwfix Select

This is nonsense.
    How are you ever going to muck out?

8. stevie22

stevie22 Screwfix Select

What depth have you got? What sort of compactor did he use?

It sounds like plain old lack of compaction and/or material too dry

9. Ar007

Ar007 New Member

Thank you everyone!

General consensus from both you guys and friend’s son who conveniently does groundworks (though inconveniently is the other end of the country) is to give it a good soaking and get them to roller it some more. I sent said friend a video of me digging around in the hardcore with my foot and he’s confident it’s the right stuff and should compact down well. Fingers crossed!