Can a quartz worktop be removed to realign base units?

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by AG1981, Sep 9, 2021.

1. AG1981

AG1981 New Member

Hi guys

I need advice, and to keep things short, I wont go into the reasons of how I ended up in the situation (my own fault).

I need to know if I can remove a newly fitted Quartz worktop. I have two work tops butted together in an L shape. I want to remove the longest length which is along the main wall. The reason I want to do this is so I can realign the base units, as they are bowed by 5mm.

The templater gave me the option to have a bigger overhang of worktop at the front to make the bow less obvious or have me re-fit the units. So to save hassle of having to refit the cabinets I (stupidly) went with having the overhang. Now that the worktop has been fitted, I cant unsee the bow, although my wife cant see it!

So this is why I am curious to know if the worktop can be removed easily enough for me to fix he bow?

2. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

It can be removed, but potentially with a great deal of difficulty. It depends if you have upstand around the worktop of have already tiled. It also depends if you have an underslung sink. Either way, i would not recommend you attempt it yourself. At the very least you should talk to the fitter and come to a financial agreement for the removal and re-fitting of the worktop.

AG1981 likes this.
  3. AG1981

AG1981 New Member

Fortunately the sink is on the other length and also I have no upstand or tiles to remove. I really am in two minds, as it isn’t obvious but I know it’s there.
    Im not sure how common a mistake it is for people to leave bows in their kitchen units so I’m wondering if there is a common fix like adjusting cupboard doors which may help disguise it more rather than go to the bother of removing the worktop.

Is this type of job common for a kitchen fitter to be called out to fix? My worry is that most fitters won’t touch it.

4. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

When you say bows in the units, are you talking about double base cabs bowed in the middle ? I can't see how single cabs could be bowed.

5. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

put up a photo.

Anything is possible, but you probably wouldn’t want to risk cracking the worktop to gain 1/2 a mill if you know what I mean.

I’ve modified quartz tops before and rejigged cabinets, when no one else would touch it, but you have to be very careful

AG1981 likes this.
  6. AG1981

AG1981 New Member

image.jpg Here is the pic. The bow goes in toward the ends. So the 800 drawer is sitting 4/5mm further out.The 400s next to the 800 sit further in by 3mm then the 400s on the ends sit in 4/5mm further in than the 800s.

7. Dan dan the man

Dan dan the man Active Member

As a fitter of many years experience…..it can be done but the potential for problems to occur out weighs the possible benefits, if something happens to the quartz top (assuming it was wren who did the tops) they would more than likely wash their hands. You could remove the 800 drawer pack to trim it down… refit, then take the next one out and do he same to the next units. But in all honesty for the sake of 5mm overall I’d personally just take it on the chin, you’ll forget all about it when the jobs finished.

AG1981 and CGN like this.
  8. AG1981

AG1981 New Member

Do you know what, your comment alone has made me feel better already. The ironic thing is I initially had it straight at the front but I started stressing about the units being too far from the wall, so I ended up forcing them closer to the wall as I was worried the worktop was at a set depth which would have left too big a gap at the back of the units. I ended up forgetting all about keeping the front straight once the panic set in knowing I had to have it all ready for the templater coming. Thanks for your advice, I agree it’s probably not worth risk. I just won’t invite any kitchen fitters to my house as they will spot it lol

9. Dan dan the man

Glad you feel better. All to often when you’re doing a job, you’re there in the thick of it so you see all the flaws up close and personal, things that no one else would ever notice….just feel glad you saved some cash doing it yourself.

AG1981 and CGN like this.
  10. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

If you've not chosen your floor covering yet look for something that won't give the game away as that will be the most obvious indicator that the carcasses aren't in line.

AG1981 and ramseyman like this.
  11. rogerk101

rogerk101 Screwfix Select

If you were to measure every supposedly vertical surface, every supposedly horizontal surface, every supposedly right angle, and every supposedly straight line in your house you'll find that the 5mm you're losing sleep over in your kitchen is negligible ... but you weren't involved with all those other supposed problems so you don't care about them. That said, I have probably just fed your lurking OCD side, so now you're going to ask about issues with a total rebuild of your whole house!

AG1981 likes this.
  12. AG1981

AG1981 New Member

Hahaha I understand what you are saying, I’ll just walk about the house with my eyes closed! Point taken though. I’ll just have to forget about it and move on.

13. AG1981

AG1981 New Member

I’ll be sure to do that! Cheers for the heads up.

WillyEckerslike likes this.
  14. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

That's more than half the battle.

When you install the plinth, install that absolutely straight against the floor covering.

Nobody but you is going to notice this.

AG1981 likes this.
  15. AG1981

AG1981 New Member

Yeah that’s a good idea actually. I was worried about the lack of choice we would have having to pick a seamless floor covering but I think you have nailed it. Hopefully that looks ok.

16. AG1981

AG1981 New Member

Do you know where they would likely have siliconed the worktop to the base units? Would it just be the front only? I’m curious to know how easy it is to remove the silicone.

17. Dan dan the man

It varies from fitter to fitter but usually along the front edge and inside the cabinets. Sometimes they will actually stick it down but that’s pretty rare as the slabs are too heavy to hold up to add silicone and then drop down.you can use a stanley to slice the bead without damaging anything.

AG1981 likes this.
  18. AG1981

AG1981 New Member

It’s just that I’m struggling to find any silicone anywhere so can’t actually see anything to cut.

19. Dan dan the man

Try lifting it at one end to see if it is actually stuck down….. be careful tho they are very heavy and you risk a back injury if you attempt it alone.

AG1981 likes this.
  20. woodbutcherbower

woodbutcherbower Screwfix Select

Although it’s only usually done on acrylic worktops, some fitters also just lay the material on top of the cabinets, then fix blocks of MDF to the underside of the worktop and side of the cabinet using clear silicone to stop it from moving around. Have a look inside to see if you can find any of these.

AG1981 likes this.