Securing outdoor cast iron bench to the ground

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Mypyh4oo, Sep 11, 2021.

1. Mypyh4oo

Mypyh4oo Member

Hi guys,
    Not sure if this is the correct sub but I didn’t find anything relating to the question above.

I am wanting to secure down an outdoor bench to the ground which will be placed at the front of the house.

can anybody please point me in the right direction? I’m not sure what sort of fixings I’d be looking at. The bench is cast iron if that helps.

many thanks

2. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Concrete, slabs, tarmac, block paving?

3. Mypyh4oo

Mypyh4oo Member

Block paving, thank you

4. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

have you got a photo of the bench...will help?

5. Mypyh4oo

Mypyh4oo Member

Apologies.
    Here it is. Thank you

Attached Files:

6. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

no need for apologies :)

Are you worried about it getting stolen?

At the moment, the only thing that springs to mind would be some ‘L’ brackets fixed to the pavers and bent slightly to the angle of the legs. You’d need to drill a hole through them and use a nut and bolt to fix to the bracket. Ideally you’d want some stainless steel brackets and nuts and bolts.
    Concrete screws would probably be my choice to fix the brackets to the pavers, although you could use screws and plugs. Either way just go steady drilling the pavers.

Mypyh4oo likes this.
  7. Mypyh4oo

Mypyh4oo Member

Thank you for your reply.
    To be fair I don’t think it will get stolen as it’s a safe area but you never know.. I’m confident about fixing to the ground but it’s the bench itself that I will probably struggle fixing the brackets to. Can you please give me an example of what I’d be looking at when fixing the bracket to the legs?
    Thank you again

8. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

you’d need some drill bits for steel. Small pilot hole and work up to required size for your bolts.

9. malkie129

malkie129 Screwfix Select

My 1st choice if possible would be drill the feet and then use thunder bolts.

10. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

I'd be tempted to fit a discreet ground anchor and use a decent bike lock or similar so that you can move it easily should you need to. It might look naff though if you cannot conceal the lock in any way.

Deleted member 246321 and CGN like this.
  11. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

probably the best and easiest way Willy.