House shaking due to heavy lorries

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by newbiebuyer, Sep 12, 2021.

1. newbiebuyer

newbiebuyer New Member

Hi.

We recently bought a new build house (show house which was build 4 years ago but never been lived in). We viewed it on weekend and bought as first-time buyers, so not experienced at all. It was pretty quiet, and the main road is about 50-60 meters away, so it seemed fine. However, after moving in, big heavy lorries are driving past at 40mph and they shake the house significantly (24/7 waking me up serval times a night). The developer probably filled all of the cracks inside however the outside has cracks like attached. Please note our house is the ONLY house with the cracks as we just walked the whole area to check if it is just us. We are also the closest to the road compared to the other houses. The dream of the first house is becoming a bit of a nightmare.. We contacted the council to check the state of the road and look into lowering the speed limit to 30, but not sure what else we can do. The house is lovely but after only being here two weeks we are starting to regret buying it.. We are afraid it will make the house collapse in few years :(

Attached Files:

• 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      348.9 KB
      Views:
    • 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      473.3 KB
      Views:
  2. CraigMcK

CraigMcK Screwfix Select

Did the surveyor not comment on the external cracks? The one which goes through a block is more of a concern, but neither are great.
    I would get back to the survey company and see what they actually said in the report. The house should be covered by the builder, but it’s not what you want to hear on your new home.

3. kiaora

kiaora Guest

Hi,
    Looks like is been repaired before ? The pointing looks different,

you probably need advice on this , not from someone in a bar !

good luck

4. newbiebuyer

newbiebuyer New Member

I'm not sure. We had the valuation done by the lender but we never received a copy of it. It was our first house so didn't buy an enhanced one which we should and its a lesson learned the hard way :( The cracks in picture 2 are on all 4 corners. We have 2 year warranty on it, but the developer will probably just fill the cracks which is not the actual issue (the house shake is). Would it be worth getting a snagging survey done now or is it too late? We basically bought a ticking bomb and can't do anything about it anymore?

5. newbiebuyer

newbiebuyer New Member

I did think this too :( I don't recall seeing the cracks in the first place especially on the front of the house.

6. kiaora

kiaora Guest

Hi
    You may be able to an agreement for an insurance backed guarantee from the builder/ seller, ?
    Action is needed now,
    Contact solicitor,, with your concerns

7. newbiebuyer

newbiebuyer New Member

I've tried contacting my solicitor however they said they only can support me up to completion and I'd have to pay them to take the case for me.. Agreement to get this fixed? I think I should be able to achieve this with the developer directly ?

8. JOMEL

JOMEL Screwfix Select

Hi.
    Yes first home you are worried about more things than problems like this
    But I would keep pushing.
    On the first Pic where the edge of sloping roof is shown.
    TOP left corner is that one of these Metal rafter ties showing thru the pointing?
    I am not sure if thats the correct term but you guys will know what i mean.

Builders are so rough now. No pride.
    Best of luck Newbi

9. Kingscurate

Kingscurate Active Member

Solicitors, structural engineer all independent would be a good start, and insurance company

10. Abrickie

Abrickie Screwfix Select

No, it’s one of those newfangled weep hole things that rough builders use nowadays :)

11. newbiebuyer

newbiebuyer New Member

Thanks you for all the advise I'll try to get as much info tomorrow as possible. what would you say the best scenario solution would be for me ?

12. jonathanc

jonathanc Guest

I would suggest structural survey. If that reveals anything fundamental then you may have a claim from the developer but I suspect that won’t be easy to pursue. First off get the survey done

13. newbiebuyer

newbiebuyer New Member

Thank you again. I'm completely useless at the paperwork side of things. I'l get thing arranged asap.

14. Abrickie

Abrickie Screwfix Select

You could go organising surveyors and solicitors , but then what do you have insurance for ? ;)

15. Kas228

Kas228 Screwfix Select

I’m no building expert but surely 50 to 60 metres away is far enough from the road for any structural problems not to be linked to the road. Especially as you bear in mind many houses are built a lot closer to main roads than that. But as I said I’m no expert. Really hope you get a satisfactory solution sorted.

16. stevie22

stevie22 Screwfix Select

Is there no NHBC warranty?? Should be 10 years though I guess an argument could be made that there's only 6 left.

Get a structural survey done now. They look like structural cracks rather than shrinkage.

17. jonathanc

jonathanc Guest

fire, theft subsidence. Not for buying a house too close to a road

18. Kas228

Kas228 Screwfix Select

It’s not that close it’s possibly 60 m away !

19. Abrickie

Abrickie Screwfix Select

Exactly :)

20. newbiebuyer

newbiebuyer New Member

There is 2 years from the developer and 10 from NHBC (so they said). I know we have home insurance, but not 100% sure what's included will have to have a good read through it tomorrow. Because of the distance from the road, we would never think the house could experience any issues apart from the noise. We are so gutted, as we had to change jobs, moved to a completely different shire just to afford a house and now this..
    Can anyone recommend any good structural survey company in Lincolnshire?