Worktop advise please.

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by teabreak, Sep 3, 2021.

1. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

Hi, well it all started with the oven door seal looking tatty, Mrs teabreak had input and one thing lead to another.
    Now total kitchen refurb on my hands!:( Looking at laminate worktops the ones we have are the Formica type with a thickish layer of laminate worn very well. Many now it seems are barely more than a thin covering of decorative surface. I have had them in rental properties and they do not last well. Mrs teabreak wants glossy black a bit of pattern might be OK. Any recommendations for suppliers or brands would be helpful please. Howdens is out as they are trade only and my account long since lapsed.:)

2. Bazza-spark

Bazza-spark Screwfix Select

3. woodbutcherbower

woodbutcherbower Screwfix Select

I buy all my worktops (50-60 a year I’d guess) from these guys;

https://www.worktop-express.co.uk

Their delivery service is super-quick (next day if you need it) and their range is really good. Been dealing with them for 5-6 years and never had a bad experience.

teabreak likes this.
  4. Offshore

Offshore Active Member

Another recommendation for worktop express here. Really good service and will also do the cut outs and scribes for you if you give them the sizes.

teabreak likes this.
  5. McSport

McSport Screwfix Select

Have 20+ Year Old Duropal in our Kitchen.
    Still in good condition.
    Have seen them recommended on here before.

I did not fit them myself and I am not a Tradesman.

6. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

Thank you I have got some samples from worktop express. Very tempted to use their mitre and hole cutting service. Are they good and do the ends of the mitre come well protected? I ask because I had one done for me once before by a supplier and the mitre was like a donkey's hind leg , had to send it back.:( Getting the mitre cut will not only save me time and a nail biting job but also make the tops lighter to handle.;)

7. +1 for duropal, last two kitchens have had these and was very happy with it.
    The mitre cutting service sounds very tempting though for my next kitchen

teabreak likes this.
  8. Tilt

Tilt Screwfix Select

Duropal are generally about the best quality of this type of worktop.
    The Everest pattern was always a popular choice BUT the gloss is a pain to get streak free.
    Axiom also very good quality.(or they both were when I manufactured worktops circa 15 years ago).

Some (possibly all) of the cheaper laminates are VERY thin.

Having the butt and scribe pre cut is ok IF your kitchen corners / walls are square???

Kitfit and teabreak like this.
  9. woodbutcherbower

I’m a professional joiner and I do all my own joints and cutouts, so I can’t comment I’m afraid. I would reiterate the comment of Tilt above though - a mason’s mitre or butt and scribe joint will only work if your corners are square, or at least close. If they aren’t, and you don’t have either the equipment (plunge saw + 1/2” router + worktop jig + biscuit jointer) or the confidence (or both of the above) to DIY, I’d suggest getting someone in to fit them for you. There’s not much which ruins a kitchen more than badly fitted tops.

koolpc likes this.
  10. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

Yes I will be checking the squareness of the corner once I get some fittings out of the way with a large folding square. The last thing I need to find is I have to bury the worktop 2" in to the wall or cut big slices off to get it fitting.

11. woodbutcherbower

Don’t ever do that, irrespective of how out of square your corner is. Burying the back edge of a worktop in a wall or cutting off wedge-shaped slices will wreck the correct overhang at the front edge of it …….

teabreak likes this.
  12. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

No chance my OCD would freak me out every time I put the kettle on!:eek:;):)

13. Tilt

Tilt Screwfix Select

But it is not just how square the corner is.........
    It is how square the whole run of wall is that the worktops will sit against.
    Likely workable pre cut if the worktops are not too long and just an L shape, but if a 'U' shape then I wouldn't recommend getting them pre cut.
    Some manufacturers use 600mm wide worktops, some 606mm some 616mm (i'm going back a while so these may have changed but just make sure the ones you choose are wide enough.

Tiling the walls makes hiding any discrepancies easier.

teabreak likes this.
  14. Offshore

Offshore Active Member

I can turn my hand to a bit of first fix joinery but wouldn't tackle a "finishing" job like this so it was ideal for me. The cuts are all done in their workshop, not sure what tools they use but my worktops were absolutely perfect when they arrived, they literally just slotted into place on top of the units. I had three lengths all with either a sink, hob or pipe chase cut out and all ends were beautifully finished. They were very carefully delivered by their own delivery drivers (so no worries about third parties damaging them) and robustly packaged with all the offcuts provided for me as well, not that I needed them for anything but they did say I'd paid for the full length so it was only fair that I get them. The delivery drivers inspected them with me before I signed for them. I honestly cannot fault them, really great service.

teabreak and CGN like this.
  15. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

16. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

Yes we tried scratching the samples and found that, so will not go for high gloss.;)

17. Tilt

Tilt Screwfix Select

Sensible decision that ^^^..... :)

18. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

Just an update thanks for the help, I ordered from worktop express. Very happy with them, cut to size perfectly, mitre and cut outs too. Pretty quick delivery and well packed. :):):):)

19. woodbutcherbower

How refreshing to see an OP come back to close a thread with a good result, and to take time out to thank those who have helped. Well done to you. Glad you got fixed up.