Pipe channeling help

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Matt T, Sep 14, 2021.

1. Matt T

Matt T Member

What is the best way to hide this pipe, underground or in a recess, there’ll be bookcases there. The builder says it doesn’t fall in his remit he just caps it, the plumber has said he can’t do it and the kitchen fitter says he won’t do it either.

Attached Files:

2. I-Man

I-Man Screwfix Select

Picture is too small, but what pipe is it? Why can't it be capped at the wall?

Matt T likes this.
  3. Matt T

Matt T Member

Its just a sink/dishwasher/waste pipe but I'll need that later as the new sink is going there, it was outside but the extension has brought it in as such, channeling was always the option the builder suggested but the plumber was concerned about the run and the kitchen fitter wants that space above as bookcases are going there, the only solution I can think of that means the run is ok is to create a recess for the outside pipe behind the bookcase, also means I can run and outside tap along there as well I suppose? I can't think of any other way.

4. That’s ridiculous that between a builder, plumber and kitchen fitter they can’t do it or at least advise you what to do, which will then involve getting a builder, plumber or fitter to move it anyway. Kind of defeats the object of employing them

woodbutcherbower likes this.
  5. John the plumber31

John the plumber31 Active Member

There a joke there somewhere.
    “There was a builder ,a plumber and a kitchen fitter ……………”
    The worrying thing is ,if all of them don’t know what to do then I’d be worrying about having them in my house in the first place.

Deleted member 246321 likes this.
  6. I-Man

I-Man Screwfix Select

Agreed. Sorry still don't really understand the plan or why a simple pipe is such a problem

7. Matt T

Matt T Member

That pipe will be in the centre of my house now, the kitchen unites will be there so its either go under (the plumber is concerned about the run) or stay where it is and be hidden by a recess in the bookcase, was seeing if there was any alternative.

8. what normally happens is the builder, plumber and kitchen fitter liaise with each other and come up with a suitable plan of action. I think u need to speak to them again tbh.

9. I-Man

I-Man Screwfix Select

not a problem with kitchen units as they have a services gap at the back for this very purpose. For the book case unit, either recess or just dont push it back all the way

Deleted member 246321 and Matt T like this.
  10. Matt T

Matt T Member

Yes when this build started, I was told it was a simple case of channelling it, now that seems to closer to a reality the problems are emerging ie the run of the water if lowered to below floor level (there would still be a run to outside though), there would have to be channelling and a 90 degree underground (without totally moving the kitchen units and dishwasher), the only way I can see is to have a recess, I'll try to post the kitchen plan.

11. I-Man

I-Man Screwfix Select

............Cue 3 different post appearing shortly on the forum from a builder, a plumber and a kitchen fitter :D:D:D:D

12. Matt T

Matt T Member

It would appear the liasing has been left to me.....

13. Could the book case not be built out by 50mm or so to hide it?

14. Matt T

Matt T Member

The red line is the current site of the old outside waste and the red line is proposed site of the new pipe whether recessed or under the floor after being channeled.

Attached Files:

15. Matt T

Matt T Member

It would cost a lot more in quartz as that will be above the bookcase.

16. Why can’t it be run behind the new kitchen units and then through a new hole to outside? That’s the usual way. You don’t want to channel it in the floor I doubt u would get enough fall

WillyEckerslike likes this.
  17. Matt T

Matt T Member

I think that is what is going to happen now unless there is a better idea.

18. I-Man

I-Man Screwfix Select

that's such a simple solution that it worries me that none of you're "tradesmen" could come up with it

19. That’s the normal way, why does a better solution need to be found

20. Matt T

Matt T Member

This is the issue, I don’t know if I was explaining myself clearly earlier as I was at work, this pipe has to go to the right and to the back of the sink, this is where the new sink will be and also the dishwasher, is there enough space to run a pipe behind them to create a new run? If not I’m out of ideas other than going underground.

Attached Files: