New windows fitted and unsure if they are up to standard…

Discussion in 'Other Trades Talk' started by Yehnunoy, Sep 14, 2021.

1. Yehnunoy

Yehnunoy New Member

Hello

I recently have had my windows and doors replaced. The work was complete it 2 days, they fitted 5 windows and 2 doors.
    Since they have left I have noticed a few things and they just don’t look right.

My main problem is that all the windows look like they have not been sealed around the outside. There is noticeable gaps between the fitting and the brick work. This is the same for every window.
    When I asked about it the worker said he doesn’t seal them up around the sides because it does not look good but he has sealed them up from the back so damp is not a problem.

I’m no expert but I’m worried there could be a damp problem and just the work has not been done properly.

Below are some pictures of the work. many advice would be much appreciated. Am I over reacting. ?

Attached Files:

2. masterdiy

masterdiy Screwfix Select

If you are not happy with the install, ring the shop manager & ask for him to come & inspect the work done.
    When he is there point out all the area's of concern.

Have you paid the full payment yet?

3. rogerk101

rogerk101 Screwfix Select

That window fitter is worse than really bad DIY.
    I would insist on a good frame sealant applied the way a professional would do it

4. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

I disagree, there appears nothing wrong with the actual fit itself, but to not seal the outside edges is nonsense and needs to be done.

5. rogerk101

rogerk101 Screwfix Select

I agree that the fitting itself is probably ok, but it's the final finish that separates the professional look from the DIY look. At the moment it looks worse than DIY because at least most diyers would attempt at a seal. They might not get the professional look but at least it would be sealed. This cowboy hasn't even got enough pride in his work to attempt a seal.

6. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Having seen lots of "cowboys" end results that is not one of them, silly reasoning, inexperienced or misguided perhaps for not sealing outside, but it is sealed from the inside Roger.

7. Yehnunoy

Yehnunoy New Member

No I have only paid for half of the cost due to being unsure about the final finish. I’m pleased I’m not wrong I being concerned about the finish.
    He is due to come over again to have a discussion. Although I’m not sure I want him to finish it now anyway.

thanks for all your advise.

masterdiy likes this.