Electric wire spec for connecting LED lights

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by AndrewLivingstone, Sep 14, 2021.

1. AndrewLivingstone

AndrewLivingstone New Member

2. MGW

MGW Screwfix Select

Most LED no problem, but you don't say if before or after any driver, or size of LED lamps, so can't be 100% sure.

3. AndrewLivingstone

4. MGW

MGW Screwfix Select

Advert and spec sheet as much good as chocolate fire guard, it does not say what voltage, I would assume 230 volt, but it does not say 230 volt, so yes likely cable OK, but rather a daft advert, personally I would not trust a firm who do not say what voltage.

5. FlyByNight

FlyByNight Screwfix Select

The installation instruction do say 220-240v but that should be on te main page. They also show an earth being needed, and with a current consumption of 0.04A (inrush up to 0.7) that 1.5mm is need. The OPs choice, is only two core so not suitable.

6. SIRJOHN19

SIRJOHN19 Active Member

Second pic in the manual clearly shows, connect to mains 220-240v

7. Bazza-spark

Bazza-spark Screwfix Select

It is also clearly marked in the 4th line of the installation instructions. @0.04A each 1.0mm2 will be fine, but the fittings must be earthed.

8. FlyByNight

FlyByNight Screwfix Select

But they also say 3x1.5 ... in either 6262Y or R02V giving flex or T&E but as you indirectly suggest, overkill.

9. Bazza-spark

Missed that one.

10. AndrewLivingstone

Yes, I was also not sure what input it needs so went through manual. Earth is optional. I think I'm good with that wire?

11. Bazza-spark

Why would you think that the earth is optional?

12. AndrewLivingstone

Sorry I misread it. Yes, I need three wire.