Access Panel in Bath Panel

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Farrow1972, Sep 15, 2021.

1. Farrow1972

Farrow1972 Member

IMG_20210915_192618328~2.jpg I've just replaced my standard steel bath
    I want to fit a moisture resistant MDF panel fixed to softwood grounds
    MDF will fit under edging of bath to ensure water does not get into end of MDF
    I will fit softwood skirting
    What's easiest way to create an access panel to the tap pipes and waste under the bath

I could just cut an access panel and hope water doesn't get in through gaps.
    Any ideas on how to seal this.

2. woodbutcherbower

woodbutcherbower Screwfix Select

Why not just make the entire panel easily removable ?

just pumps likes this.
  3. Farrow1972

Farrow1972 Member

Problem then is sealing the whole panel against water splashing over the side and getting in the gap on top of the skirting.
    The top would be tucked under the metal lip.
    But the bottom would just be sitting a few millimeters down under skirting.
    I'd need to fix and seal skirting to stop water getting onto ply my tiles are fitted on

4. just pumps

just pumps Screwfix Select

How often do you think the panel will be used to access the taps and waste, months, years.

5. Farrow1972

Farrow1972 Member

I did think of that
    Make it accessible.
    But seal it
    If it needs to be used carefully cut the seal.
    It can then be resealed afterwards

6. just pumps

Most guys/gals are happy to have the room and dont mind slicing through a thinish bit of silicone to remove the whole panel.

7. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

If you want the panel fixed and really need an access door then you can buy a ready made hinged plastic one from most places.

8. just pumps

You can but i haven't seen a good one yet that is pleasingly on the eye and would you like to propose a size. I only ask as Joe public haven't got a clue.

9. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

I use them occasionally depending on the scenario and agree that I probably wouldn’t use one in this situation, but can still look better than a Heath Robinson version, unless that’s the required look.

10. just pumps

And you would agree that slicing through silicone and removing the whole panel gives maximum access yes.

11. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

of course, unless you want to add a trap door under the bath as well. I make all my bath panels ‘removeable’, but yes they are sealed with a thin bead of silicone, which can be cut through if need be, but that is usually rare.

just pumps likes this.
  12. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

How do you think millions of other panels exist? Unless you're having an epileptics disco rave in the bath, there won't be that much water running down the sides anyway. Leave the skirting off as it looks naff and just leave a 5mm or so gap at the bottom of the panel and silicone it, screw the panel to a framework and use a couple of screw caps or chrome mirror screws to secure it.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2021
    CGN and just pumps like this.
  13. Shytot

Shytot Active Member

I would do what Jord says but if you don’t want to see screw caps use Keku fixings or something similar ( plenty on the market ) or some very strong magnets . I use a glass sucker to remove if needed

14. Farrow1972

Farrow1972 Member

I'm going to cut a separate access panel for the taps and waste.
    What gap should I leave between this and the main panel for a silicon bead 3mm or 5 mm
    I will then fit a removable cover strip over this

If I need access I will remove the cover strips and cut the silicone to remove the access pane

The access panel will tuck up into the top of the bath and then slide 5 mm down behind skirting
    I will apply silicone to access panel at skirting