Nightmare shower tray. Help tell me who's in the wrong

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Jay91, Sep 17, 2021.

1. Jay91

Jay91 New Member

Had a new quadrant shower put in a few months back. It has started to dip and as a result water is pooling and not draining away in the middle.

Victorian plumbing (tray supplier) and the builder are both refusing to take blame. I finally hired an independent contractor today to break a few tiles at the bottom so we could see underneath. See pic attached.

To me it looks like no adequate timber frame and the independent contractor agreed. Who is at wrong here?

Attached Files:

2. Looks installed badly in my opinion, should be a frame with support in the middle. Tbh with a quadrant tray u should have bought a proper riser kit(legs) for it

ElecCEng likes this.
  3. quasar9

quasar9 Screwfix Select

The real issue is did the builder comply with manufacturers installation instructions ? If the instruction clearly states it must be supported by adequate woodwork, the builder is clearly to blame. On the other hand if instructions were inadequate Victorian plumbing must take part of the blame as they will argue an experienced installer should know better.

From a point of law, your contract is with your builder. Unless the tray is faulty Victorian plumbing is out the loop although there remains the issue of quality of instruction.

BTW, Victorian plumbing will accept returns, but at your cost unless it’s faulty. As these deliveries are palletised, the cost is in the region of £70, regardless of how much of the pallet is used. For that reason, I now buy from local suppliers.

Deleted member 246321 likes this.
  4. Unless that’s how the MIs say to install it(unlikely) then fitter to blame in my opinion. Even if the instructions weren’t clear anyone with any plumbing knowledge will know that trays need supporting in the middle

5. AnotherTopJob

AnotherTopJob Screwfix Select

Looks like a stone resin tray.
    These need to be sat on a solid sheet of ply or similar, (raised on several legs if necessary) and bedded onto a sand/cement mix.
    I'm surprised it hasn't snapped in half!

BiancoTheGiraffe and Creek like this.
  6. jonathanc

jonathanc Guest

Should be fully bedded. Installation fault. U can check the instructions on Victorian plumbing website abs see it’s wrong

7. woodbutcherbower

woodbutcherbower Screwfix Select

100% agree with the other posters. Shockingly bad, lazy installation which was destined to fail from day one. I'm also surprised it hasn't cracked and split. Needs solidly supporting across its entire base.

koolpc likes this.
  8. Jay91

Jay91 New Member

Thanks guys.

Builder keeps banging on about how it is supported by the timber frame at the sides. Keeps blaming Victorian plumbing for poor quality products too.

It is warped now so needs to be replaced and means taking off shower enclosure etc so becoming a big job. Absolute nightmare to deal with but I guess I'll have to stand my ground and insist he does.

This is the only shower in the flat, am I allowed to specify a date he need to fix it by rather than the usual "reasonable amount of time"

9. Jay91

Jay91 New Member

10. AnotherTopJob

AnotherTopJob Screwfix Select

It should be basic knowledge to anyone involved in the trade, insist he covers all the replacement costs.
    "So that the tray is bedded completely level the tray area has to be FULLY COVERED with an 8mm minimum thickness of weak cement mix (Fig 3). The minimum thickness of mortar at the lowest point should be 5mm
    after the tray has been levelled. Check that the top of the tray is level (Fig 4).
    Ensure that the entire base of the tray is fully supported as the base of the tray may not be entirely level."

11. Mike83

Mike83 Screwfix Select

12. Mike83

Mike83 Screwfix Select

I read it as legs should be used and they also recommend a wooden frame around the sides.

13. Adamfya

Adamfya Screwfix Select

I had an absolute nightmare with these type of trays, ntp.... something is the part no.
    If they dont turn up damaged, there warpped, bowed or cracked. The underside of the trays are machined flat, but the top side are just about useless.
    I went with a more expensive make in the end.
    If i were you, id cut your losses with the dick whos tried to fit yours. Put it down to experience. Source a better tray and either do it yourself- theres plenty of willing helpful advice on here, or find a decent chap to sort his mess.

14. jonathanc

jonathanc Guest

Mira try would be my preference here

Deleted member 246321 likes this.
  15. Jay91

Jay91 New Member

Thing is quotes I am getting to replace are £1000+ so pretty expensive experience right there. As a minimum I should be eligible for a refund from the builder

16. Adamfya

Adamfya Screwfix Select

Post a pic or 2 of the enclosure and top of tray

17. stevie22

stevie22 Screwfix Select

Those instructions are clear and your builder (why not a plumber?) didn't follow them so it's down to him.

Who bought the tray? If the builder did and there was a fault in the tray it would still be down to him to sort. If you supplied it then there could be an argument but in this case it is a straightforward installation cock up.

18. quasar9

quasar9 Screwfix Select

if legs are to be used, it states underside is supported with a sheet material with a minimum thickness of 11mm.

Otherwise it explicitly states using a bed of mortar with a minimum thickness of 5mm with 8mm recommended. It even gives exact mix for the mortar and even shows how to mix and it’s final consistency.

It’s looking increasing like the builder at fault

19. Mira flight trays are about all I fit, good quality, not too expensive and can get decent riser kit for them

20. Jay91

Jay91 New Member

Used a bit of squash to show the puddle of water that doesn't drain

Attached Files: