Carcass/cabinets for sideboards? Or does it need building?

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Dan Mc, Sep 20, 2021.

1. Dan Mc

Dan Mc New Member

I'm looking to build units either side of my fireplace. I've never had anything like that built and I've never seen how they're built so excuse the stupid question - but are they built in the same way a kitchen would be built? i.e. carcasses assembled, doors put on, and then surface on top of it? Or does it need building from scratch?

Just in the way of an example, here's something similar to what I'm going to be constructing - fireplace with units fitted to each side exactly. So I'd expect cabinets would fill most of the space with a spacer piece for where it didn't match exactly? Am I on the right lines here?

[​IMG]

2. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

Better custom made to fit. Could be "free standing" snug fit or literally built in to the space. Depends how you want the internals finished. Shelves need securing back to the wall, not just the sides, if they are carrying any weight, or they will bow. Lot's of ways to do this.

What you could do is make the frames and carcasses and then use one of the kitchen door suppliers who make doors in any custom size. This would give you a quality finish.

Take care with measurements. Alcoves either side of fire places are seldom perfectly square so if you make a unit dimensioned for a tight fit, chances are it won't fit

3. Dan Mc

Dan Mc New Member

Thanks for the reply mate, appreciate it. Not too fussed on the internals really.

Will consider getting them custom made, might be easier to pay someone in to do this.

Do the carcasses already exist for stuff like this? I know if I was building a kitchen for example I could go and buy 600mm units all day, but I can't find any equivalent for these lower units?

4. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

Unlikely you'd find a standard carcass to fit - Easier to make something up (unless your alcoves are exactly the right size for standard 4-600 units.). Even then likely be too deep and would need modifying. However, don't forget kitchen carcasses heights include 150mm legs, so you can drop them down a bit.

5. Dan Mc

Dan Mc New Member

Ah what a great shout! I'll do just that mate. I just measured it up then and that height is exactly what I'm after without the legs. I measured the height units in my kitchen and they're a good depth too (300mm?). So I'll get a load of them.

One last question - are there alternative to the 150mm legs do you know? I'm guessing I need some space to open the doors

6. Dan Mc

Dan Mc New Member

Ignore that - it was a lazy question. I googled it and there are loads. I'll just need to cut a plinth I suppose to hide the smaller legs.

7. woodbutcherbower

woodbutcherbower Screwfix Select

Standard kitchen wall carcasses are 290mm deep - enough for most alcoves without having to butcher base units. You can either use these on plastic legs, or make a floor frame from 3x2 CLS to fix them down to. Use a plinth to cover the support mechanism whichever you choose. Not directly comparable - but I attached a few pics of a custom-build I installed last week so you get the floor frame concealment idea. I wrapped skirting board around the front of these, scribing it onto the wall skirting for a continuous flow. The property was a Georgian schoolhouse.

Don’t get hung up on 600mm units and think that you can’t get a wall-to-wall fit = carcasses now come in 200, 300, 350, 400, 450, 500, 600, 700, 800, 900 and 1000mm widths. Any small gaps at the sides can be closed with filler panels to match the doors you choose. You can make the cabinet tops from timber worktop. The picture shows floating shelves - there are some really good, strong floating shelf brackets on Amazon.

32159A6C-877E-421C-AFB8-F8EE282B9F51.jpeg B8C1CAC0-7050-4D33-9A2F-6886064CC764.jpeg

Last edited: Sep 20, 2021
  8. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

....and I'm being thick - I've even used wall cabinets myself for shallow base units - in the house we live in now!!.......:p:p Must be age I'm forgetting what I've done myself.

9. woodbutcherbower

woodbutcherbower Screwfix Select

Happens to us all, mate !!! I sometimes need reminding how to tie my shoelaces.