Plaster board behind or on top of shower tray

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Deborah s, Sep 23, 2021.

1. Deborah s

Deborah s New Member

Hi, What is better the plaster board to go on top of the shower tray or for the plumber to leave a gap for the board to slide behind the shower tray? What's the pros and cons?

2. I would have the tray push upto the board, with a bead of silicone on the flat back edges, and then a small bead around the top. Then tile over the tray with a bead of silicone to finish
    If using plasterboard it should really be tanked before tiling, I used a BAL tanking kit, simple instructions and easy enough to do.

CGN likes this.
  3. Deborah s

Deborah s New Member

Hes already put the tray in up to the 3 by 2 and not left a gap for the plaster board. He said its fine to board up to tray and better because if there is ever a leak it will run into the tray?? I just want it done the best way am I best asking him to move the tray so there is a gap?

4. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Should have used a better board. I wouldnt use plasterboard myself. Plus, any water that may get behind the sealant / tiles could "wick' up the plasterboard when it is sat on top of the tray!

FlyByNight and just pumps like this.
  5. Deborah s

Deborah s New Member

Hi its not been boarded yet the plumber has put the tray up to the 3 by 2 and not left a gap for the plaster board. The board we where getting is the green board. What board would you suggest?

6. Not the way I would do it. If using green plasterboard I would use a tanking kit on it as well. I wouldn’t have the board whether it’s plasterboard or cement board sat on top of the tray, I’d have the tray pushed up to it, siliconed, tiled then siliconed again.
    Everyone has there own ways though.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 23, 2021
    CGN and Deborah s like this.
  7. Deborah s

Deborah s New Member

So would you use like aqua board

8. Deborah s

Deborah s New Member

Everyone I have spoken to have said they would do the same as you. But the plumber is saying it it wont matter its only 10mm difference and it would be better because if there is a leak it will go onto the tray rather than behind the tray.

9. There are all sorts of different boards instead of plasterboard that can be used now, green board will be ok if tanked imo but with the tray pushed upto it rather than sat on the tray.

Deborah s likes this.
  10. I would say you normally push it upto the board and silicone, then tile and silicone to give it two lines of defence against going below.

Deborah s likes this.
  11. dcox

dcox Screwfix Select

Boards need to go in first - I’d use a cement board like Hardibacker in wet areas. They don’t go mushy if water manages to get to it.

Having the boards in first gives a continuous surface to stick the sides of the tray to.

Check the adjustments available on your enclosure. If the plasterboard sits on the tray edge with tiles over it may mean the enclosure can’t be fitted properly.

Just guessing, but perhaps your fitter just doesn’t want to get held up waiting for the plasterboard to be fitted.

12. Deborah s

Deborah s New Member

Yes I think thats the case but if he had left the gap the plasterer could have just slid the board behind. Also the tray edge is going to be shorter now due to the board plaster then tile

13. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

How many walls is your tray going to be in contact with ,two or three ?

Deborah s likes this.
  14. FlyByNight

FlyByNight Screwfix Select

Cement board such as Hardie Backer - way better than any plasterboard especially in your situation.

And make sure there is a good silicon seal at the bottome of whatever you use

Deborah s likes this.
  15. John the plumber31

John the plumber31 Active Member

Hardie backer for me aswell( that’s what I always use)

Deborah s likes this.
  16. Deborah s

Deborah s New Member

17. Deborah s

Deborah s New Member

would that just be used for the shower area and rest of the bathroom green board?

18. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Yes. Tell the plumber what 'you' want. You are paying him. Do it the right way now.

19. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

The other potential problem is when you come to fit the enclosure. They are designed to work with a layer of tiles, but you’ve got the additional thickness of Pb as well. May be ok, maybe not. I always board, then fit the tray. Rarely use Pb, but if so, it gets tanked. Hardiebacker is better, but there are a few more modern equivalents that are far superior and nicer to work with.