Kitchen Tap

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Coops666, Sep 23, 2021.

1. Coops666

Coops666 Member

I'm trying to change the kitchen tap but it's a sod to reach and get to anyone got any ideas what tool I need for this type of nut and how to go on it.

Never seen these type of nuts uses on taps before, I'm used to the long thread type.

Attached Files:

2. That looks a right pig. U will need monobloc spanner’s and even then it looks like it will be tight. Sometimes u can slot one spanner inside the other to get extra length.

I have a nerrad tools tap spanner kit with all the extension bars and ratchet type spanner’s but it would cost more than a tap and a plumber to change it would.

Attached Files:

WillyEckerslike likes this.
  3. dcox

dcox Screwfix Select

Hidden behind the flexi tap tails there’s probably a brass nut on a threaded rod that needs to be unscrewed. Easiest with a cheap set of box spanners.

just pumps likes this.
  4. dcox

dcox Screwfix Select

Someone’s been splashing the cash!

Deleted member 246321 likes this.
  5. Haha yeah my work has lol.

Tbh I’ve only used a couple of times but worth its weight in gold, we have some sinks in one of our accommodation blocks where the taps must have been installed before the sinks were put in the worktops and u can’t get to the backnut without this kit as the sink bowls are so deep and in the way.

6. Coops666

Coops666 Member

That's what I was hoping a long brass nut.
    The nut is in the second picture, its getting on to it to un do it though

7. Coops666

Coops666 Member

You think a mono bloc will go over that silver nut, it's not even hexagon shaped

8. John the plumber31

John the plumber31 Active Member

I couldn’t live without my nerrad.
    A must for any plumber in my eyes.
    Up there with one of the best pieces of kit I’ve ever bought.

9. John the plumber31

Unscrew the flexis first(not from the tap)..move them out of the way and it should be simple to get up there.

just pumps and Coops666 like this.
  10. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

You haven't fully seen all the components that bolt the tap into place underneath the worktop, so hence you concern
    This is what you have, in its entirety;

upload_2021-9-23_16-49-28.png

The threaded stud and bolt is being obscured by the flexi hoses

Remove the hoses from tap (usually just hand tight fittings at this end) to give better access but usually, if you can work upside down, lying on your back with a torch shinning up, and with a set of monobloc tap spanners, its a pretty easy job, as mentioned above, each section will join to the next size down, join 2-3 sections together to give improved reach, along with the included 'tommy' bar for improved leverage in tight space

Makes a pig of a job actually rather pleasant, as long as your good and flexible in mind, body and soul :)

[​IMG]

The white rounded, triangle bit of plastic will just fall away with the other parts, its just clamped in place by the 'horseshoe' fitting

Its an optional piece, sometimes supplied with taps, sometimes not, handy to use with thin metal sinks as spreads the forces of the tap over a larger area of thin stainless steel so less wobble. Probably essential if fitting a chunky swan neck tap and/or one with a pull out hose

Last edited: Sep 23, 2021
    Coops666 and just pumps like this.
  11. Coops666

Coops666 Member

So just for a dullard like me..

What I've marked in pink isn't the fastening nut then?

Attached Files:

12. John the plumber31

No its not

Coops666 likes this.
  13. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

As in picture in my reply, what you’ve marked is simply a washer, generally called a ‘horseshoe washer’ ….. but that’s all it is, a washer, along with the rubber one also

Either get your head up there for a look and / or camera on your phone and take a look

The threaded stud and nut is behind the flexi hoses. The 2 washers simply slide onto the stud

All you need to do is disconnect flexis (from
    one end or the other) and remove the bolt from stud / using monobloc spanners to preserve your sanity. Washers and white triangle will drop down, another pair of hands is handy to hold tap in place, then remove upwards

The threaded stud usually remains inside tap, but that’s fine

New tap, stud will be in the box separate, screw it into tap hand tight first but check as one end of stud will likely have a screwdriver slot for tightening fully

If it’s not as in link I posted, I’m happy to share a video of me eating my hat :)

Coops666 likes this.
  14. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

I've been wondering about the Nerrad kit for a while Macca. I suppose the question is would you still buy it if you were self employed....?

15. Coops666

Coops666 Member

Ty very much

16. John the plumber31

Why are you explaining this to me,in my few decades as a plumber i think I have got the hang of how to fit these .
    I’ve only fitted a few thousand of them :D:)

17. John the plumber31

I’m self employed and it’s a lovely bit of kit. One of my best purchases

WillyEckerslike likes this.
  18. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

Great timing as there's 20% off on a well known auction site as well (code expires today though). Many thanks.

19. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Oh yes, was multi tasking, trying to work whilst replying on the forum and replied to the wrong thread !

Got the plumber bit from your name so wouldn’t offer this advice to you if I had noticed - my mistake

Out of the 1,000s of taps you’ve fitted, how many did you manage without the Nerrad Tap set :) !!

20. John the plumber31

I had the normal monobloc spanner’s and ended up welding a long t bar in there to get the length.
    Once I bought the nerrad kit I wouldn’t use anything else.
    Only worth buying if you do a lot of taps though as they are a tad pricey.