Replacing Bathroom Extractor fan

Discussion in 'Getting Started FAQ' started by jamiedurragon46, Sep 23, 2021.

Tags:
  1. jamiedurragon46

jamiedurragon46 New Member

Hi!

Am trying to change bathroom extraction fan as previous one wasn’t working (not sure if it ever was) but ran into an issue with the cabling. The old fan was a non timer unit and used the Yellow and Blue cable, with the red one being cut off at the covering.

I originally bought a timer unit and bridged the live to switch L to test but unit wouldn’t work. Swapped for a non timer unit and still won’t work. Power runs to the fan when lighting circuit is on but fan won’t spin.

I have attached photos of the fan switch, ceiling light wiring and the cable for extractor fan.

thanks in advance!

DC4336DC-F885-4868-920A-2A06D2471A36.jpeg 5DB77D72-B113-4FAC-B66E-5F4B86B54495.jpeg AED4A2FB-E9F9-44C8-A0C5-4C0C8B927C0D.jpeg

2. spirits are real 2016

spirits are real 2016 Screwfix Select

Someone has wired the blue as neutral the red as permanent live and yellow is switched live you need to connect them to the fan like this..

jamiedurragon46 likes this.
  3. jamiedurragon46

I have tried wiring it in this order and still cannot get the fan to run, but I know power runs thru the cable as I’ve tested it.

I also noticed that at switch it is wired as;
    Red - N
    Blue - L
    Yellow - L2

I’ve also tried this wiring combination on fan and still can’t get it to spin. Only thing I can think of is that the fan won’t spin without the cover back on it but I can’t see anything that would suggest that’s the case (no cover sensors etc).

4. spirits are real 2016

Do not copy the switch wiring that is wired wrong can you spin the fan by hand whilst it is in your wall..

5. jamiedurragon46

Yes, you can freely spin the fan blade whilst it’s in the wall.

would the fan switch being wired wrong be causing an issue? There is an image of switch in original post.

6. spirits are real 2016

The neutral wire in the celing rose looks burnt turn power off cut end bit off and reconnect you will find it is a neutral fault if there is power at the fan but you do need switched and separate lives for the fan to run..

jamiedurragon46 likes this.
  7. jamiedurragon46

amazing - the ceiling lights did look burnt! I will do this now and update after

8. spirits are real 2016

No the switch wired wrong will not cause the problem as long as the in and out are the same colour..

9. spirits are real 2016

Even one of the red lives look burnt..

10. jamiedurragon46

The actual cover cap would suggest this is maybe why the previous unit wasn’t working as it’s covered in black, will check all the cables and see what’s burnt out and try wiring fan in again

11. spirits are real 2016

Let us now how you get on..

12. jamiedurragon46

B29AF4D8-AADD-4488-AD01-B5682C391B81.jpeg Upon closer inspection the wires are all connected into the rose. It would make sense to be a neutral fault but I can’t see any issues with the wiring. Might need to go into loft and see the cable is all good?

13. jamiedurragon46

14. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

What test instrument are you using to establish voltages ?
    How many light fittings are in the room ?
    Check carefully the blue wire that's in with the black neutrals at the ceiling rose, can't see clearly from pic ,but it may be loose.