Roof dramas

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by PaulaGraves Graves, Sep 23, 2021.

?

Does this need repair please

1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. PaulaGraves Graves

PaulaGraves Graves New Member

Hi i was wondering if someone could help. I have had a problem with mould in my bathroom and finding yellow drips of water from walls and ceilings. I have had 3 roofers one sent by home emergency insurers. All 3 saying different things one saying roof is fine and it is condensation in the bathroom, other 2 saying problems with roof felt/membrane. Can anyone advise as I don't want to pay for roof repairs that are not needed and still have condensation issues. I Always get ripped off because my knowledge is so bad.

Attached Files:

2. Bob256

Bob256 Active Member

If it's the roof, presumably there would be some evidence of dampness in the loft above where you are seeing the issue in the bathroom. Have you seen anything up there?

Also, does this tend to happen when it is raining?

3. adgjl

adgjl Screwfix Select

Is that a hole where you can see what looks like daylight in the second and third photos?

4. AnotherTopJob

AnotherTopJob Screwfix Select

The roof felt looks past its best, but everything appears to be dry. If there was a roof leak, it would worsen during wet weather.
    Is there adequate ventilation in the bathroom such as an extractor fan?

5. PaulaGraves Graves

These are where the vent tiles are I think

6. PaulaGraves Graves

It seems dry up there but it is really warm and yes does get worse when it rains.

7. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Probably condensation. Make sure you have adequate ventilation in the bathroom.

8. Bob256

Bob256 Active Member

If you want to be more sure, you probably need to wait until it rains next and get up in the loft to see what's happening.

9. Bob256

Bob256 Active Member

Yes, if there isn't a fan, get one fitted as it is worth having one anyway even if it turns out to be the roof, and it's obviously the cheaper thing to try first.

10. GRH

GRH Active Member

+1 for condensation.

koolpc likes this.
  11. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select