Hive heating help please!

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by GregHugs, Sep 24, 2021.

Tags:
  1. GregHugs

GregHugs New Member

Hey all. I'm sorry my first post is asking for help.

I recently bought the hive heating system. My set up is old.. my oil boiler is wired to a switch with just three wires. I only need hive to switch off and on and can only install it between the boiler and the plug. I have power going to the hive and it is ok. But I don't know how to form a circuit with the brown, blue and green wires to the boiler from hive. I've searched for hours with no success. I just need off and on! Any guidance would be life saving as my other half is cold.

2. sparky steve

sparky steve Screwfix Select

What make and model of boiler do you have.
    Do you have a programmer?

3. GregHugs

GregHugs New Member

It's a 25 year-old "Euroflame" with a built in programmer. The actual burner is a year or two old. I currently control it using a smart plug (just off and on). I want it running to the fused switch with the hive between it and the boiler to control just the on and off.

And thank you for replying

4. adgjl

adgjl Screwfix Select

Does your boiler do the hot water as well as the heating?

Do you have a hot water storage cylinder?

Have you bought a single or dual channel Hive?

5. GregHugs

GregHugs New Member

The boiler also heats the water.. so when the boiler is off, water is heated by emersion. Not ideal but it's like that until I can upgrade.

It's a single channel hive

6. Mike83

Mike83 Screwfix Select

If you want to go down the hive route that’s fine. It probably won’t work as well as it could but the wiring should be simple enough.
    Give the hive a LNE from the plug/switch.
    Link hive Live-terminal 1.
    Then take a NE from the hive to the boiler.
    The boilers live supply will come from hive terminal 3.

7. GregHugs

GregHugs New Member

Thanks Mike. I am really just using it as an expensive on off switch the the time being. Can you just explain where I might put the live and neutral from the boiler to the hive? I don't need to bridge anything?

8. jonathanc

jonathanc Guest

Before you connect it that way you need to confirm the max load of the boiler is less than the max switching load of the hive.if you cannot confirm that you risk overloading the hive

9. GregHugs

GregHugs New Member

Yes. I had that checked. I'm just still at a loss as to what wires go where and I live rural, so it could be a week before I can get professional help.

10. GregHugs

GregHugs New Member

So it's no problem getting power to the Hive . The problem is where do the wires to the boiler, which previously went to a three pin plug, go.

I really really appreciate the help

Attached Files:

11. jonathanc

jonathanc Guest

At a guess without reading any more of the instructions

Bridge L to 1

connect boiler neutral and earth to neutral and earth and boiler live feed to 3

12. GregHugs

GregHugs New Member

Thank you. Tried that. Still no joy. So frustrating. I just need to complete a circuit between "brown and blue" using 123 and 4 in some combination!

Chris Berrisford likes this.
  13. jonathanc

jonathanc Guest

ok so is 1 connected to 2 when no heating is demanded and 1 connected to 3 when heating is required? Bit of testing needed

14. GregHugs

GregHugs New Member

I just have the live and neutral running to the boiler from 1 to 3 to achieve that and with the set up I have, I can't be certain there's even power going to 1 to 3 with the mains connected to L and N ?

I normally get professional help on these things, but I was desperate.. I can re wire the 3 pin plug in the meantime I suppose. It's like trying to read a language you don't speak and it's embarrassing!

15. jonathanc

jonathanc Guest

Post up a picture of how you wired the hive according to my post at 11:54 please

16. Mike83

Mike83 Screwfix Select

Think of it like this.
    You have one cable from the plug to the boiler.
    Cut the cable in half.
    Put the 2 blues in hive neutral.
    Put the brown from the plug into hive live.
    Put the brown to the boiler in hive 3.
    Fit a bit wire between hive live and hive 1

17. GregHugs

GregHugs New Member

Excuse the mess.. I've just roughly rearranged for the picture

Attached Files:

18. GregHugs

GregHugs New Member

What do I do with the blue to the boiler?

19. GregHugs

GregHugs New Member

This did it. Thank you so so very very much.

20. Paul.Fitzpatrick

Paul.Fitzpatrick New Member

I have the same dilemma. Has this solution been working for you?