Freestanding bath overflow

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Pete M, Sep 23, 2021.

1. Pete M

Pete M New Member

Hi All
    My first post on here, thanks for reading

I have a new cast iron bath with very little space underneath for waste and trap, so have bought a shallow trap from Victorian bathrooms.
    My issue is that the bath has a central overflow hole with a chrome front and a chrome fitting at the back - I’m placing it next to a wall where the waste will be concealed and the tap is recessed also.
    I should be able to connect a pipe to the overflow, through the wall and into the waste pipe however this will be downstream of the trap.
    Could I simply use a bendy pipe for the overflow and fashion an in-line trap for this?? Or make a trap with 32mm elbows for this overflow pipe behind the wall before entry to the 40mm main bath waste pipe?
    Cheers
    Pete

2. woodbutcherbower

woodbutcherbower Screwfix Select

Is your setup anything like this?
    Bath.jpg

3. Pete M

Pete M New Member

Thanks for your advice, yes I’ll try an inline trap on the overflow, before it enters the waste pipe, behind the wall. Yes don’t want smell emitting from overflow, so this trap should do nicely.

Water might never get to that level as it’s quite a deep bath, but don’t want to block it off.
    cheers

4. Pete M

Pete M New Member

000F1DE0-DC52-4491-8EBF-71DD38D06A24.jpeg
    It’s central fill and central waste, stud wall behind for all plumbing, but only 70mm below outlet to play with for trap, hence shallow trap with waste bought but no room for overflow to connect until after the trap, so think inline trap connected to overflow pipe behind wall might be my answer. Fancy chrome waste set up quoted at £275 .

5. adgjl

adgjl Screwfix Select

A trap on just the overflow won’t work, as there is no way of keeping it full of water, then the smell will come through the overflow once the water level in the trap drops.

6. Pete M

Pete M New Member

Will this type of anti syphon trap not work without water just for the overflow?

Attached Files:

7. Yes that is a waterless trap that’s why I suggested it:)

8. Pete M

Pete M New Member

Hmmm, I could put another trap in the waste water pipe work perhaps, down stream of the overflow pipe connection I guess, not sure this would be a suitable option ?

9. Pete M

Pete M New Member

Yes, that’s great, thanks a lot, I’ll get one used Cheers

10. A possibility, don’t have it too far from the outlet of the bath though or any grime before the trap will end up smelling. Personally I’d still have a trap on the bath but yes it is possible. U can buy an elbow that will come off the bottom of your bath waste with a compression outlet