Mould on plasterboard

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by MMP, Sep 23, 2021.

1. MMP

MMP New Member

Have recently had a new bathroom fitted with tiling straight onto plasterboard. I was told this wouldn’t be a problem. Shower leaked behind bath & went onto walls underneath bath. It’s been cleaned by tradesman but looks like it’s coming back. Any suggestions on what to do next to get rid ? See image

Attached Files:

2. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

That's from water either off floor or behind plasterboard.
    Dig at it and see if it's wet behind

3. MMP

MMP New Member

Thank you. It’s leaked from where tile meets bath not been siliconed properly. Been redone but any ideas how do I get rid of the mould ?

4. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Damp cloth to get worst off then wipe over with mould spray from supermarket. Go easy as won't want to get it wet or it is may start to damage it.
    A bit of spray or water on surface won't matter. I'd apply mould spray and wipe a few times allowing it to dry off between applications.

Then paint over with something you have to seal in

5. MMP

MMP New Member

Thank you. Will give that a try.

6. GRH

GRH Active Member

I would have insisted on a tile backer board around the bath to prevent what you were told 'wouldn't be a problem'.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2021
    MMP likes this.
  7. MMP

MMP New Member

Thank you for your reply. I have contacted the contractor about taking off the tiles and replacing the plasterboard to either fit water resistant or aquaboard. Would it be a reasonable to ask this as it’s been used for less than 8 months?

8. GRH

GRH Active Member

Any plumber/contractor worth their salt knows the problems with water and plasterboard - even a little leak will rot it away over time. They told you it wouldn't be a problem. They were wrong. It would be reasonable for them to repair it, doing it right this time as they are the 'professionals' after all, and, as a lay-person, you were guided by their professional opinion. Have a look at this video and decide for yourself.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2021
  9. MMP

MMP New Member

Thank you. Very informative video. It’s shown me exactly how it should be done. Coming on Monday to have a look I will let you know how it goes.

10. DaveF

DaveF Active Member

They are completely wrong. You don't use plasterboard in a bathroom. Water is incredibly pervasive and damaging. It can even get through a concrete floor to rot pipes underneath.

GRH likes this.
  11. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

Let's not get carried away here. There are hundreds of thousands if not millions of baths against plasterboard walls without issue. The failure here is that the bath and/or tiling haven't been properly installed or it's solely a failure of the silicone sealant (but even then a properly installed bath would have prevented the water running through)
    There are better products and methods around nowadays but there's no need to rip out perfectly good installations in a wave of mass hysteria about plasterboard in bathrooms. They'll be queuing at filling stations nationwide next because a handful of stations have run low for a few hours.....

Last edited: Sep 25, 2021
    Jord86 likes this.
  12. MMP

MMP New Member

Thank you for your reply’s - this is what I’ve been left with. As far as I am aware the bath was fitted correctly as were the tiles. See photos. It is not a perfectly good installation or this wouldn’t of happened. I’m now left with a bathroom that has mould growing. What would be the best resolution?

Attached Files:

13. GRH

GRH Active Member

I don't see any mass hysteria here or demands to rip out perfectly good installations - I think, perhaps, have you been watching too much TV 'news'?

14. GRH

GRH Active Member

Obviously something is wrong with the installation and the contractor should be allowed to put it right. So in the first place, I would discuss the issues with the contractor and try and get a resolution that both of you are happy with. If that fails get a second opinion and seek a legal solution.

MMP likes this.
  15. WillyEckerslike

The OP has stated that the leak has been addressed (post #3) and so, by inference, the installation was satisfactory (at that point at least) save for the mould under the bath arising from the leak.

@Wayners has given the OP advice on how to address the mould which is actually what the OP asked for. Treat mould, let it dry, seal over it and refit bath panel

You and others have since waded in telling him/her what they should have had done, condemning the original installation and adding a video to reinforce the point. Now the OP is ready to tackle the installer about ripping it out and starting again when a bottle of supermarket mould killer will do. That's the point I'm making.

There are a few things the installer might have done differently, the most important being to persuade the OP not to have the taps mounted at the side of the bath where they cannot be accessed for future maintenance/replacement without taking the bath out or coming through the wall from the other side if not an external wall - at least the plasterboard will be easy to cut through - there's always a bright side.

MMP, Jord86, GRH and 1 other person like this.
  16. GRH

GRH Active Member

Oh touché sir! Quite right. On another bright side, the OP is now well informed for future bathroom projects, so prizes all round. :)

MMP and WillyEckerslike like this.
  17. MMP

MMP New Member

The mould has been treated but has since come back and is still growing. The builder has been out today and is refusing to replace the plasterboard that is damaged. He is wanting to give me some of the money back I paid. I will still have the mould and no way of getting this replaced. What would be your suggestions?

18. GRH

GRH Active Member

He obviously doesn't want the hassle of the work. One suggestion, If he wants to give you money back, is get a quote for remedial work and ask for that amount, or as close as you can get to it.
    Another is you could go the legal route, but that might cost more, and not just in monetary terms.
    Others may have other suggestions.

MMP likes this.
  19. MMP

MMP New Member

Thank you for the reply. I appreciate the suggestions. It would be good to get a quote from another builder for the work giving me a good idea of the costs involved,

20. WillyEckerslike

Assuming that the leak has actually been fixed I would expect the mould to respond to treatment after the board has been allowed to properly dry out - use a fan if necessary. Don't refit the panel until it is dry.
    If I was approached to resolve this after another mould treatment had failed I would suggest removing the affected part of the board and replacing it with a new piece supported with additional studwork glued and/or screwed in place. It's an easy job and should only take a couple of hours. Based on what we've seen I wouldn't think there is any requirement to be starting again.
    Good luck with it.