American fridge freezer cable to short

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Peter lee, Sep 25, 2021.

1. Peter lee

Peter lee New Member

Hi guys,we have just bought an LG american fridge freezer,but the power cable is to short to reach the plug socket by about a foot.
    Can anyone advise if its OK to change the cable for a longer one,and what size in technical terms do I need to order.
    Many many thanks in advance for guidance with this.

2. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

You’ll invalidate the guarantee. Just use a short extension lead.

3. Peter lee

Peter lee New Member

Never thought about that,Thanks for the advice

CGN likes this.
  4. woodbutcherbower

woodbutcherbower Screwfix Select

CGN's advice is 100% bang on and totally the right call.

Just a heads-up for anyone else reading this thread - if you cut the factory-fitted moulded plug off any appliance - you'll immediately void your warranty. Short extension leads are always the way to go.

Just remember to switch the wall supply 'on' before you hook up your extension lead, plug your appliance into it, and install it.

*SPENDS AN HOUR REMOVING AND REINSTALLING PERFECTLY-FITTING INTEGRATED FRIDGE-FREEZER BECAUSE HE FORGOT TO DO IT*

5. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

Better to use one of these. To extend the flexible cable.

6. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

Really?

7. Yeah that is true

8. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

That’s a mistake any idiot can make mate :D

9. Tony Goddard

Tony Goddard Screwfix Select

No, not true, my business is an agent for 5 manufacturers of appliances and handling warranty claims for the makers is something we do, none would consider the warranty void if a plug was cut off, however the warranty would be voided if incorrect wiring of the new plug resulted in damage or if a call out was made under warranty and the fault was the plug wiring, in which case the call would be charged for.

The advice from the manufacturers tends to read that if the replacement of the moulded plug is required it should be done by a competent electrician or "if in doubt contact a qualified electrician"

Of course if you try and replace the lead then you will often invalidate the warranty by dis-assembling the appliance, not to mention the issues you will likely encounter with crimp connectors etc, or using the wrong cable type, a common one we get on a particular cheerful vacuum cleaner is people using a pattern part mains lead from the web, sold as compatible, its a perfectly good 0.75mm HO5 vv-F two core lead, but the genuine part is HO5 V2 V2 F, consequenty with the pattern part and some heavy cleaning you end up with a big blob of melted pvc in the cord winding cassette!

FlyByNight and nigel willson like this.
  10. woodbutcherbower

With the utmost respect, I disagree. End-users don't disassemble appliances, use electrical crimpers, soldering irons or incorrect cables, they don't buy Chinese knockoff cables from Ebay ......... but they do cut off plugs.

Almost every appliance I install as a professional joiner (500+ kitchens and counting) - the installation manuals clearly state that 'The supplied plug must not be cut off or removed under any circumstances. Doing this will invalidate the manufacturer's warranty'. This applies to Howdens, Wickes, Homebase, Magnet, Wren, DIY Kitchens, Benchmarx and B&Q.

The only manufacturers warranty it doesn't invalidate is the one offered by IKEA - who state that 'Cutting off the plug is not allowed. But if you do this, we will forgive you if:

1 You drive a Volvo
    2 You spend a lot of time listening to ABBA
    3 You have a pet moose
    4 You hate people from Finland, Denmark and Norway
    5 You eat a lot of fish guts, hotdogs and Daim bars
    6 You like one-way walking 0.5km past stuff you hate, to get to the 'Aarsenholen' £0.99 picture frame you actually want to buy
    7 You like being in a part of the world where it is daylight for 22 hours in the summer, and dark for 22 hours in the winter
    8 Your hero is that chef guy from The Muppets

Last edited: Sep 26, 2021
    Deleted member 246321 and CGN like this.
  11. Tony Goddard

Tony Goddard Screwfix Select

Well, all i can say is it's not a situation I've encountered, and we've sold many thousands of appliances and serviced, often under warranty many more than that, and i've had this self same discussion with manufacturers on the phone and always been assured its not a problem. Thats not to say every manufacturer takes the same line. but its not universal.

And there is a considrable problem with pattern parts that don't live up to promise, we see at least one case a week!

Bazza likes this.
  12. woodbutcherbower

I'm sure you're quite right Tony - you're obviously very experienced in this business. But on balance, I think that the best shout is not to cut off a factory plug. Then there's zero comeback irrespective of individual manufacturer policy.

Deleted member 246321 likes this.
  13. robertpstubbs

robertpstubbs Screwfix Select

You disconnect (unscrew) the existing cable/plug at the appliance end, and then attach a new longer cable/plug. If you need to make a warranty claim you swap the old one back in.

candoabitofmoststuff likes this.
  14. AnotherTopJob

AnotherTopJob Screwfix Select

I think manufacturers often state exclusions like this to deter any modifications by inexperienced DIYers.
    If an appliance needs repair I don't think any reputable manufacturer could refuse due to the unrelated issue of a different (but correctly wired and fused) plug being fitted.

15. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

Most come with a moulded plug.

16. AnotherTopJob

AnotherTopJob Screwfix Select

I think he was referring to replacing the whole cable right back to the terminals in the appliance.
    If it's not a simple block connector though, I'm sure it will be obvious it's been tampered with.

17. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

Ah, yes:oops:

18. CraigMcK

CraigMcK Screwfix Select

They cannot void the warranty if the failure can, in no way, be connected to the plug being cut.
    In the same way a car manufacturer can’t void the warranty on the whole car if you were, for example, to change the brake pads.

19. nigel willson

nigel willson Screwfix Select

Nah, most instructions I’ve seen say “ if you have to change the plug because of”. Don’t say anything about voiding warranty. I’ve done loads over th3 years

Bazza likes this.
  20. Bob Rathbone

Bob Rathbone Screwfix Select

If you are concerned about warranty, do not cut off the plug to extend. Use a short extension lead, provided that this is not excluded in the user instructions. It takes a level of skill to fit a plug, but anyone can use an extension led without formal training or certification.