Airborne plaster dust

Discussion in 'Other Trades Talk' started by Ian Gorton, Sep 28, 2021.

1. Ian Gorton

Ian Gorton New Member

After my appalling attempt at taping&jointing I needed to do A LOT of sanding.
    The dust is bad. Still 10 days later I cannot go into my garden build without a P3 mask.

mopping, hoovering, everything I do just seems to disturb the invisible dust. I thought the rain would ease it but it's just as bad.
    I can feel it in the back of my throat and it makes me feel weird.

I don't know what to do.. should I contact Environmental health?
    Are there special mist cleaners?
    Maybe I can hire some kind of air filter..

2. ejenner

ejenner Active Member

Can you leave the doors and windows open?

Also could you apply the first coat of emulsion?

3. Severntrent

Severntrent Screwfix Select

Have you not a fan you can place at a window/door to purge it or maybe you are just a bit sensitive to dust

4. I-Man

I-Man Screwfix Select

have you vacuumed the walls with a brush attachment?

5. Ian Gorton

Ian Gorton New Member

Hey, thanks,
    Mist coat was done on Thursday.
    Windows have been open for the whole 10 days, doors as much as possible, I'm concerned I'm polluting the surrounding area?
    Is that possible or have I developed an intolerance/ allergy... ?

6. Ian Gorton

Ian Gorton New Member

I don't have a HEPA filter vacuum so I think the dust goes straight thru.
    I brushed the walls before mist coat.

7. Ian Gorton

Ian Gorton New Member

That's what I'm starting to think, that I've got an allergy (never had an allergy)

8. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

9. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Leaf blower and open windows and doors and blow it all out.

Should of bodged up a vacuum sander but a bit late now.

10. Ian Gorton

Ian Gorton New Member

Update:

I was using the dust masks with a BEARD. needless to say, everytime i went in to the building to mist coat etc.. I was just breathing in more of the dust.
    I shaved the beard (that was emotional!) and realised that my lungs, sinuses and mental health just needed a break from it all.

Thanks 'teabreak', I took your advice and got one of those air purifiers. I don't think it worked for the plaster dust tbh (I was still finding horrible amounts of grime on every surface in the mornings) but it is a dream for all normal dusts.. I'm very glad to have it.

teabreak likes this.
  11. DaveF

DaveF Active Member

For future reference, it is essential when you sand plaster that you use a vacuum fitted to the sander. Also using something like a PVA ( or similar ) coat on everything afterwards helps to lock down the dust.
    Plaster dust is a pain in the rear which is why its not a good idea to sand plaster.

Ian Gorton likes this.