Connect 2 Gang Light switch with Smart Switch - Wiring check please :-)

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by SomeOfTheGear, Sep 28, 2021.

1. SomeOfTheGear

SomeOfTheGear Member

I've got a Sonoff Smart switch I want to use to replace an existing 2 gang light switch. The switch requires a Neutral feed which I have. I've labelled up photos of how I think it should be wired but I'd appreciate confirmation that I've got it right OR if not, where I've gone wrong. Cheers.

SmartSwitch.jpg Back of Switch.jpg Neutrals.jpg

2. bright_Spark

bright_Spark Screwfix Select

Yes that is correct with the exception you should have brown sleeving on the grey wire and a bit of blue on the black wire to be completely correct

SomeOfTheGear likes this.
  3. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

Plus...Metal mounting box should have an earth terminal where the earth conductors go.

SomeOfTheGear and bright_Spark like this.
  4. bright_Spark

Yes missed that one. Unless he uses those silly plastic plugs that covers the screws.

SomeOfTheGear and terrymac like this.
  5. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

9 out of 10 ,must try harder !!!

SomeOfTheGear and bright_Spark like this.
  6. bright_Spark

ha ha I now have my pet lip on..

7. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

Ha ha .

8. SomeOfTheGear

SomeOfTheGear Member

Thanks for the replies Guys. I'm keen to do things properly so I'll add the blue/ brown sleeving and make an earth connection to the metal box (or replace it with a plastic one).

Elsewhere in the house, I've just replaced a couple of metal light fittings that had earth wires on the actual units with flush fit fire rated LEDs. The supply from the lighting circuit to the old lights had the earth wires clipped off. I assume that if the manufacturer thought it was worth adding an earth wire to the original lights, it would probably be a good idea to connect to it! For the new lights I re-stripped the wires and added a suitably sleeved earth connection.

9. bright_Spark

Thats the way.. Good man

10. adgjl

adgjl Screwfix Select

What checks have you done to confirm the earth wire was connected to earth at the other end of the cable?

11. SomeOfTheGear

SomeOfTheGear Member

Er, none. As you asked the question, I'm guessing that this is something that should be checked if the earth wires are snipped off at the light fitting? If so, would this be at the light switch or if not where and how to test please?

12. bright_Spark

Check the circuit is continous along the earth path, from all light points and switch positions back to the board. usual thing for a lot of Diy types is to cut the earths off at the light points for some strange reason. Usually all ok back at the board but worth checking all the same.