Honeywell T6360 Room Thermostat help with wiring

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Alan/, Sep 27, 2021.

1. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

The socket that you plugged into ,is it on a circuit protected by the same RCD as the boiler mcb ?

2. Alan/

Alan/ Member

No it on a different curcuit

3. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

Does the RCD that trips , protect the following circuits..
    Boiler
    Kitchen sockets
    A lighting circuit
    Any other circuits besides these ?

4. Alan/

Alan/ Member

kitchen sockets and boiler, smoke detector, lighting, and shower but shower is on mcb but on the same RCD
    sockets for other rooms stay on

5. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

That doesn't make a lot of sense, the shower bit ??
    I will try to ask the same question a different way.
    The RCD that trips....tell me ONLY those circuits that it protects. Not interested in the circuits that the second RCD protects.

6. Alan/

Alan/ Member

Smoke detector, kitchen sockets, boiler, lights

7. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

Thanks. Your test with plug etc is inconclusive.
    RCD' s trip when there is earth leakage ,
    And a small amount of earth leakage ,typically 30 miliamps +.
    So ,you have 4 circuits and if there is that amount of leakage across some or all of them it will trip. Try your test using a kitchen socket to plug into ,if RCD trips ,it points toward the new switch being duff

8. Alan/

Alan/ Member

The thermo has no earth on it is the type that does not use a earth
    I don't understand where I could get a earth leak from could you explain a bit more thanks

9. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

Nothing to do with the earth conductors being connected to the thermostat.
    Earth leakage can be from cables ,accessories,appliances ,switches,sockets,ovens etc etc.
    Tiny amounts of electric current can
    "escape" out of a circuit via any of the above,that's called earth leakage ,is the easiest way to explain it in layman's terms.

10. Alan/

Alan/ Member

i have put old thermostat back on that works still if it was leakage how does it not affect the old thermostat

11. Alan/

Alan/ Member

this is how they have said to wire it the way i did it 3 and 2 are other way round just scared to try it in case it damages something
    wire thermo1.jpg

12. MGW

MGW Screwfix Select

Looking at your picture it seems to be:-

Old – New – Colour – Use

4 – 1 – NC – empty

3 – 2 – NO – Grey

2 – 3 – Neutral – Black

1 – 4 – Line – Brown

Earth – Earth – Earth – Green/Yellow

This seems to be what you have, you say RCD trips with new and not with old, so only difference between new and old is likely to be the power used line to neutral, the old thermostat would work if no neutral connected, never measured the size of the anti-hysteresis resistor, but likely a very high resistance, so if the new thermostat uses more power and it has the wrong neutral supplying the thermostat that would cause the problem.

13. Alan/

Alan/ Member

the way i wired it was
    old -new -colour
    4 - 1 empty no wire
    2 - 3 grey with blue sleeve on it
    3 - 2 black
    earth to screw on metal back box
    the company said try switching black and grey round i just dont know if i was to try that would it damage anything
    old thermo thermostat4.png new 1 thermo1.jpg this how they said wire it wire thermo1.jpg every where i have looked videos and chat say 3 is switch on a honeywell which is black and if i use a tester when honeywell is turned to on there is 240v reading at black and 0v when it is turned to off

14. Alan/

Alan/ Member

so if i was to try it the way you have wrote it which is how the company said do it if it is wrong will it just trip electric again.
    i keep thinking i must have a neutral wrong as it trips straight off the new1 does not even get to light up ,
    i can put a cable with a plug on live and neutral to 4 and 3 on new1 and all lights up and works that way

15. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

The old stat doesn't have a fault causing earth leakage ,the new one does.
    Just re read all your posts ,when doing voltage measurements I assume the wires were connected to the old stat.
    If so ,get 4 seperate connector blocks ,remove wires from stat and put each wire in its own terminal block, so they are not in contact with each other .then take voltage measurement as follows.
    Brown to earth.
    Black to earth.
    Grey ( blue sleeve) to earth.
    Brown to black.
    Brown to grey.
    Black to grey.

16. Alan/

Alan/ Member

will do that and post readings
    but can i ask about the earth leak ,as posted the old stat uses a earth and does not have a earth leak
    where i get confused is the new stat does not have an earth attached use a earth wire like old 1 so where does the earth leak come from

17. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

Mate it's too long winded to explain. Try googling earth leakage in electrical circuitry.
    Essentially electric current leaks out of a circuit and finds a way to go to ground in a route it is not intended to take .

18. Alan/

Alan/ Member

ok i will google
    this earth leak i have could come from fuse being in on position but not in use i have 2 fuse on the same RCD which are to the on position but are not going to anythink

19. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

I think you mean MCB's ,not fuses ,don't you ? You can't switch a fuse off you would remove it.
    If you are telling me that 2 MCB's are in on position ,but nowt connected to them ,it's of no consequence whatsoever

20. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select