Install Angled batten lamp holder in shed

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Ashb, Sep 29, 2021.

1. Ashb

Ashb New Member

I was going to attach a 3 pin plug to end of cable from lamp holder straight into power socket, however can I wire cable into a fuse switch and then wire fuse switch to power socket, using fuse switch as the lamps on/off?

2. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

Run a spur from a suitable donor socket ,to switched,fused,connection unit. And wire to lamp from it's load terminals.

3. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Yes, by adding the fused switch, your keeping the sockets free’d up — I guess that’s the idea ?

So connect fused switch to socket, 3 amp fuse fitted to switch and connect up light

4. Bazza-spark

Bazza-spark Screwfix Select

Assuming the existing socket isn't already a spur.

terrymac likes this.
  5. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

Hence my inclusion of the word suitable ,thanks for expanding on that Bazza ,the OP could well have thought suitable only referred to it's physical position. Cheers.

Bazza-spark likes this.
  6. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

If this socket is indeed a spur, then add a 13A FCU *before* this socket, then add another FCU after, fused at 3A

I think that’s correct Bazza ?
    Apologies if I’ve given incorrect info and poor advice

7. bright_Spark

bright_Spark Screwfix Select

Where is the feed for the shed comming from? Is it on its own supply cable and fed out of a CU or has it been tapped out of a socket in the house? Also has it got RCD protection?

8. Bazza-spark

In theory Dave yes that is correct, however we don't know if it is already a spur off a spur etc, and as @bright_Spark has said it needs rcd protection.

DIYDave. likes this.
  9. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Thanks for the extra info Bazza
    Possibly more complicated then at first though ,,,,, but depends !

Would be simpler / safer / compliant / to simply wire to a 3pin plug, fused at 3A and plug into socket - hopefully socket is switched so there’s your on and off !

But again, I’m guessing the OP wants to keep the socket free for plugging in other items ?

Thanks again

10. Bazza-spark

No problem mate. Easy and compliant with a plug because it isn't fixed wiring.

Sometimes the cheap route is the easiest.

11. The Happy Builder

The Happy Builder Screwfix Select

It would of course be extremely dangerous to connect a LED light bulb that draws a current of 0.030 amps (30 milliamperes) to an existing circuit and overload it, obviously it is far safer plug it in instead :eek:

12. bright_Spark

:D:D Lethal.

13. Bazza-spark

Your point being?

14. bright_Spark

He was joking Bazza, a bit of tongue in cheek humour, nothing sinister mate.

The Happy Builder likes this.
  15. Bazza-spark

Not convinced. He has a habit of picking me up, but goes nuts when its done to him.