Panic-buying fuel-pump sheep

Discussion in 'Just Talk' started by woodbutcherbower, Sep 26, 2021.

1. Hell68

Hell68 Active Member

Its definitely not improving down south. Seem to be more deliveries. But more queuing too. Its probably worse than ever.

(We obviously have more selfish f@cktards down here!! See map!! :confused: :D)

This kinda sums it up!! Lol

Attached Files:

2. Muzungu

Muzungu Screwfix Select

That's interesting. It did cross my mind that it seemed to be worse in the south but had no evidence to confirm that. I'm right up north, Tyneside, and things are pretty good. Would be curious as to why that is, a combination of different vehicle use and behaviour feeds into the mix perhaps; pure speculation.

3. Bazza-spark

Bazza-spark Screwfix Select

Drove past 3 stations today. All had fuel and queues were back to normal (South Wales).

4. fred812

fred812 Screwfix Select

That's where I am. Think that South East England is the worst.

5. Bazza-spark

Bazza-spark Screwfix Select

Last week Tesco Aberdare were out of fuel, Asda Aberdare had fighting on the forecourt with police in attendance, Gulf Cwmbach were out, not sure about gulf Mountain Ash, but today all had fuel with normal queues.

6. FlyByNight

FlyByNight Screwfix Select

And some people do have to fill their tanks!

tank.jpg

Hell68 likes this.
  7. quasar9

quasar9 Screwfix Select

I think the issue with SE, especially with London (where it’s very bad and causing gridlock which wastes even more petrol) is a problem that’s been building for a while, closure of petrol station making way for flats. I used to work in one area that had 6 or 7 petrol stations within a half mile radius but now 5 are gone. This simply increases the supply problem. Such is the demand on these remains stations that one of these stations, a BP, runs out of fuel almost every other day ( this is before the current crisis).

8. Hell68

Hell68 Active Member

The South East is definitely worse. 24/7 at the mo! Thanks to the media induced panic.

Now they just can't fill up quick enough for the twits topping up £2 in their tank.....just in case!! (Yes that's been reported numerous times lol) Why on earth you'd queue for an hour to do that, using more fuel getting there and queuing, god only knows!! :D

9. quasar9

quasar9 Screwfix Select

They should have got out the emergency tankers and the army at least a week ago, yet it’s been delayed continuously and finally they start Monday. Apparently, the excuse is, people seeing army tankers on the road would panic and buy even more fuel. signs of the govt taking action would assure me and the public rather than having the opposite effect.

10. JOMEL

JOMEL Screwfix Select

Hi Guys
    I am just 3 miles outside Newcastle in Gosforth
    The 2 North Road garages near me had no Qs.
    Straight in and out.
    But the thing thats annoying me is my old Toyota cant use E10
    Super Unleaded is now £1.56 a Ltr GRRRR

Johnny M

11. FlyByNight

Yesterday evening, I saw standard unleaded at £1.57 ...

12. quasar9

quasar9 Screwfix Select

Just got caught up in a petrol feeding frenzy. A tanker arrives at a local station and word gets out instantaneously (wonder how) and total gridlock. Bet it will be exhausted in an hour or two ! Crazy. Govt could use the laws they already have to limit it, to say £30 a fill, but because they want to keep pushing the narrative “there is no shortage” they wont. Sadly we don’t seem to have a credible opposition to challenge them.

13. Muzungu

Muzungu Screwfix Select

That there is a shortage, in some parts of the country can't be denied. What I think is to be confirmed is what is causing that shortage. Is it just in fact panic buying, I suspect it is but would like to see some figures.

It would be interesting to know, in those parts of the country that are having problems, are the forecourts actually moving more petrol out into consumers' tanks than normal? I haven't seen any figures either way. If they are moving more fuel through the forecourts than normal then it is simply panic buying. I would have thought that these figures would be pretty simple to come up with but haven't seen anything.

14. Hell68

Hell68 Active Member

Yes it's panic buying. The garages here are selling more in a night than they would normally in a week. They just can't fill up quick enough. Although the queues do seem to be less in surrey/Sussex today. Supermarket stations are mostly opening up all night as opposed to the day so as not to block the supermarket shoppers. Possibly spreading the queues over 24 hours whereas previously most 24 hour garages were closing by 10, or earlier if they ran out, to give their staff a break

Muzungu likes this.
  15. Muzungu

Muzungu Screwfix Select

Up here in the the North East things are pretty much back to normal, at least around my area just outside Newcastle. Out today and passed four stations, three had no queues and spaces at the pumps, one was closed with no fuel.

Hell68 likes this.
  16. Hell68

Hell68 Active Member

It's a nightmare down here.

Mind you I'm getting quite a bit of overtime filling up works buses and always seem to be in the right place at the right time to refuel my car so I'm not complaining at the mo :D

17. quasar9

quasar9 Screwfix Select

It’s the SUV craze in london and SE. 5 LITRE Range rovers, Audi Q7, BMW X5 and above, Mercedes GL all with 80liters fuel tank with some extended versions at 100liters. Plus the fact none of these will do more than 20mpg in london traffic creates a problem in itself. These Chelsea tractors are getting ever larger and lately I note that many buyers of these simply cannot manoeuvre them well enough to negotiate the ever narrowing london roads !

18. FlyByNight

I'm in W London and had to spend last week in Oldham. Drove back on Friday and had around 100 miles of fuel left - which would have been close this week.

Went for my normal Waitrose shop at 7:00 AM, then driving back at just gone 7:30, first petrol station I came to was open, one van at the pump, filled up and did not even bother topping offf to squeeze more in. No queues at all.

19. quasar9

quasar9 Screwfix Select

It’s bad in SW, S and SE as of now ! The nearest two station, both out of petrol but one has diesel

20. BiancoTheGiraffe

BiancoTheGiraffe Screwfix Select

Fine where I am (Crewe)...

Sainsbury's in Nantwich was out of diesel (tanker was there when I was, he said diesel would be available within half an hour) but Morissons in Crewe was fully stocked and had no queue