New Bathroom told must have coving?!

Discussion in 'Tilers' Talk' started by Chris Leishman, Oct 3, 2021.

1. Chris Leishman

Chris Leishman New Member

Hi All,

I am having a brand new bathroom refurbishment and the builders have stuck a piece of coving all around the ceiling instead of tiling to the top with a smaller strip of tiles. It looks like it is from the 70s and ruins the bathroom. Is this required?

They say the ceiling is uneven, and it isn't with a spirit measure and has new boarding fixed. They also said it won't look good using tiles to the top with a thin strip.

I have the feeling they want to finish the job as fast as possible and are fobbing me off. Any help would be much appreciated!

Attached Files:

2. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

It's your bathroom that you are presumably paying for, you have what you want, though I suspect the reason they have put it up is to disguise the fact they've probably ballsed up the setting out of the tiles, and that you'd be left with a wafer thin sliver of tile at the top. Coving in a new bathroom with tiles on all walls is to me, silly and out of place.

3. Severntrent

Severntrent Screwfix Select

No its not required, what is require is what the client wants, personally I prefer the coving to a bit of tile but each to their own

Chris Leishman likes this.
  4. Chris Leishman

Thanks, they have also said we have ordered the wrong sized tiles for the bathroom, instead of them having not measured correctly. Is this true? They are standard 25cm in height.

5. jonathanc

jonathanc Guest

Builder is an idiot. They have not set the tiles out correctly to end up with think strips. If you want tiling to ceiling that’s what you have.

CGN, Chris Leishman and Muzungu like this.
  6. Muzungu

Muzungu Screwfix Select

As @Jord86 said, they've more than likely messed up with the setting out. Never heard of ordering the "wrong sized" tiles for a bathroom. 25 cm tall should have given them enough to get the setting out looking good maybe by trimming both at the bottom and the top.

For academic interest height of ceiling would be useful and a photo.

Chris Leishman likes this.
  7. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

Did the builder specify a different size tile for you to buy and did they then draw attention to your 'error' before they installed them?

8. They are having you on, a good tiler would have set it out to make sure the cuts worked.

CGN and Chris Leishman like this.
  9. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Put up some photos so a more thorough 'judgement' can be made. The only way they would be the wrong sized tiles is if they'd already priced for and bought adhesive and trims suitable for smaller tiles, as the weight of larger thicker tiles means different adhesive, trim thickness and different tools required.

10. Chris Leishman

Hi - 202cm from floor to ceiling.

11. Chris Leishman

We had a different builder but he had a stroke and died before he began. The new builders didn,t say they were the wrong size until it was all tiled and I said I didn't want the coving after they had put it on without asking me.

12. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

It's like everyone else has said they didn't set out properly before they started because if they had, they would have told you at that point that you had bought the wrong tiles. You didn't by the wrong tiles by the way.

13. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Low ceiling height if it is indeed 2020, loft or basement conversion?

14. Muzungu

Muzungu Screwfix Select

With 8 25 cm tiles and 2 mm spacing makes 201.4 if my maths is right and that is with the tiles right down flat with the floor. How big's the gap?

15. Chris Leishman

For some reason I cant upload any new photos as the file size always seems to be too big. 202cm ceiling height.

16. Chris Leishman

Neither. Uplstairs bathroom. 1989 house.

17. Severntrent

Severntrent Screwfix Select

Doesn't really help, other factors come into play , height of skirting ( if any), height of bath, height/size of window, height of hand basin, all these things need to be allowed for when working out tile lines but at the end of the day if you want tiles at the top, be they half, full or slivers, and not coving end off story!!

Chris Leishman and Muzungu like this.
  18. Chris Leishman

Roughly an inch.

19. Muzungu

Muzungu Screwfix Select

I think @Severntrent put it well. Difficult to say how they have messed up unless we see some photos including bath, windows etc.

If you're working on a laptop open the photos in paint and resize to say 1200 width pixels. Many other ways to do it depending on what you are using.

20. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Photos are 2mb or less apparently. If there's an inch or so left then it sounds like they've started a full tile off the floor, which is nearly always a bolloc dropped.

Deleted member 246321 likes this.