Cracked ceiling advice

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by CadelT, Oct 3, 2021.

1. CadelT

CadelT New Member

Hi, We've recently bought our first house which is about 40's era. When taking the chipwood wallpaper off the 3rd bedroom ceiling we've noticed a fairly long crack in the middle of the ceiling with a couple of extra hairline cracks.

The corner is also a cause of concern as when pressed there is slight movement. However, I think it has been there for some time so I don't think it's falling down any time soon!

It's made up of lath and plaster so I'm wondering what the best advice would be for fixing it?

I have seen others drilling holes around the area and filling both with compound?

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Board over would be my recommendation.

I have and known people to prop up ceiling then vacuum off from loft side. Water down pva and coat. Pour plaster over wooden laths and the props make sure it don't fall until set. Makes it solid and don't cost much.
    However I would tread lightly above that ceiling as lath plaster can fall. That is not in good condition.

Y shaped run of cracks is a bad sign

3. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Not poo-pooing Wayners but I would bite the bullet and drop the lot, it's enough weight up there on presumably 3 or 4x2 ceiling joists without adding more by overboarding with half inch plasterboard, by the time you faff about trying to repair the damaged plaster only for more to fall down in the process you could have had the ceiling down. If you do choose this option though, close the door, tape it up, open the windows and kick the ceiling down from above, the dust will be on a biblical scale.

4. Bob256

Bob256 Active Member

I've had a number of lath and plaster ceilings overboarded over the years, including all the upstairs rooms in the current property (30's semi - funnily enough all upstairs was lath and plaster ceilings, whereas downstairs ceilings and all stud walls original plasterboard). I can think of just one plasterer over the year whom I discussed it with who recommended pulling it all down. I'm afraid we couldn't face the mess (as well as the ceiling itself, there was all the crumbling torching from the roof in the loft at the time) and went for the overboarding. All still fine over 20 years later in some cases.

5. Severntrent

Severntrent Screwfix Select

No problem :)

62.jpg 69.jpg

6. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Bloody big spider there Trent under the waste pipe in the first photo! ;) Place looks like a crime scene o_O

7. Severntrent

Severntrent Screwfix Select

Cheers Jord, there was a couple of villains working on it (glad I didn't see the spider)

Jord86 likes this.
  8. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Far worse when it's ground floor ceilings, nowhere to escape from the dust. Found that the best tools for doing it is a pickaxe and flat shovel, as you can hook it down and away from you at the same time but you still end up looking like a coal miner. Grim job.