How to reset the TPMS sensor

Discussion in 'Car and Van Talk' started by Paul Blackburn, Sep 2, 2019.

1. I have just had a puncture in one of the tyres of my car which meant the TPMS sensor light came on.I have had the puncture repaired but the warning light is still on.I believe there must be something in the menu system to reset it but not sure can anyone help.The car is a 2017 Hyundai i10 Premium

2. sparky steve

sparky steve Screwfix Select

Drive the car for a few minutes to give the sensors a chance to reset and measure the new pressure reading. The light goes off after the system resets.

3. My wife has just returned from her swimming session and it is about a 20 min trip there and the same coming back but the light is still on.I read on Google that I should turn the engine on and then press and hold the reset button down untill the lights flicker three times.Did that but no flicker.

4. Kas228

Kas228 Screwfix Select

Do you have a manual. You normally have to reset it after the tyre has been repaired or replaced once it is at the correct pressure again, it then stores that as the default value and therefore can know if it drops by about over 3 psi.

5. I have just popped into my local garage who I use regular and they sorted it out straight away.The light was still on when I left their car park but then went out.

6. austinparker

austinparker New Member

I am facing a problem with my tpms, the dashboard of my car shows an error Tyre pressure monitor inoperative and I am confused about it as I never faced such an issue before.
    Is there anyone who know about it or faced the same issue?
    Any suggestions would be very helpful. By the way, I have Audi A5.

7. Bob Rathbone

Bob Rathbone Screwfix Select

If the sensor is not loosened before the tyre is removed, it will damage the sensor. Remove the outer nut and push the valve stem into the tyre before removing the tyre from the rim.

8. austinparker

austinparker New Member

thank you for the tip, but I have a question.
    I understand that loosening the sensor is important, but will pushing in the valve stem into the tyre remove the tpms error sign from the dashboard?

9. AnotherTopJob

AnotherTopJob Screwfix Select

Some sensors like my Vauxhall have a push fit rubber stem which can only be removed by cutting it off, requiring a new stem repair kit.

10. AnotherTopJob

AnotherTopJob Screwfix Select

How old is the car, and was a tyre change or puncture repair carried out before the error? It could just be age related as they can fail after 5 years.