Plywood over floorboard method. Also SPC flooring anyone?

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by bond007, Sep 13, 2021.

1. bond007

bond007 Well-Known Member

Guys,
    Finally taken the plunge and removed the kitchen floor tiles and ply fron under it. Now only left with the floorbaord.

Want to plywood it over before flooring can be laid on top.
    Any general tips or guidance to follow in how to lay down the ply?
    Screws or nails?
    Which thickness?
    Which size board cuts to cover the floor?
    How much space between each board?

Then for the flooring. Anyone have experience with Spc flooring please?

Thanks

2. bond007

Any thoughts......

3. mitefix

mitefix Active Member

6mm Ply ... Screwed every 150mm

malkie129 likes this.
  4. Bob256

Bob256 Active Member

Not an expert here, but whenever I have plyed over floorboards, I have used 6mm, screwed it, and butted the boards (no gaps) in a staggered 'brick' pattern. Not sure what size boards I used, now I come to think of it. I would probably base it on the room size and how awkward the cuts are.

bond007 likes this.
  5. bond007

How many centimetre apart the screws?
    Screw into the joists?

6. mitefix

mitefix Active Member

You screw into the floorboards beneath the ply 150mm centres forming squares

7. Nis999

Nis999 Member

Unless you know EXACTLY where all your cables and pipes are, be careful not to use screws longer than ply+board thickness!!

bond007 likes this.
  8. bond007

Also, plywood or cement boards for overlay on floorboards?
    Which is more value for money and durable.

9. I-Man

I-Man Screwfix Select

You'd only really use cement board if you're tiling. Ply will be fine - make sure the screw heads are not protruding.

I've laid SPC in my house, it was laid over a perfectly flat chipboard floor. Very happy with it.

bond007 likes this.
  10. bond007

What mm thickness did you got for please.
    I'm plying the floor before hand for SPC finishing.

DIY install on spc flooring?

11. I-Man

I-Man Screwfix Select

I had 6mm flooring, with 1mm underlay built in. Went for herringbone style which looks great, but was more time consuming to fit, especially as I did the entire ground floor with no transitions anywhere. Lots of measuring, planning, making templates etc.

Easy enough to cut, use a curved blade in a stanley knife (get a good quality sturdy knife!) Handsaw, coping saw where more intricate cuts are needed. I avoided using power tools as the shavings get everywhere!

bond007 likes this.
  12. malkie129

malkie129 Screwfix Select

When I had my kitchen floor (floorboards) tiled, my tiler requested 9mm ply. I used this,srewed at 150mm centres using 4 x 20mm Reisser-cutter screws. After 7years, absolutely no problems. :)

bond007 likes this.
  13. bond007

Hi,
    Just been told by flooring company that foil mat underfloor heating is not suitable for LVT/SPC.
    Only the pipe ones are recommended.

Anyone know or have experience with underfloor heating under LVT/SPC flooring please?

14. I-Man

I-Man Screwfix Select

As
    I have wet UF heating installed, using aluminum spreader plates which sit in-between the floor joists and have channels for the pipework. This system is used to avoid building up the floor level. The joists were batted on the underside to allow 100mm insulation board to be laid down, leaving around 20mm space at the top to allow for the pipework. Afterwards, laid down 18mm T&G MR chipboard sheets so had a nice perfectly flat floor, and laid the lvt (spc) on top. Perfectly happy with it!

bond007 likes this.
  15. bond007

So i can't lay insulation board on top of current floorbaord and UF foil mat on top of that..
    Then finish off with LVT on top?

16. I-Man

I-Man Screwfix Select

I don't know the reasons as to why you can't - did the the flooring company not specify? Get in touch with UF heating companies who can advise as to what sort of setup to go for.

bond007 likes this.
  17. bond007

They've said you can put the foil mat.
    But flooring companies say it invalidates the warranty.
    But they mentioned 95% of customers do it that way so I don't know what big issue is.

18. I-Man

I-Man Screwfix Select

so down to personal choice then i guess

19. bond007

Guys
    I've opted for tiles on the kitchen floor now. The underfloor heating company recommend I use the insulation boards instead or ply as it will retain the heat better.
    Anyone used these kind of similar boards?
    They strong enough as ply/hardwood?
    Last thing I want is movement on tiles for grout to crack.

https://www.livingheat.co.uk/product/xps-underfloor-heating-insulation/

Last edited: Nov 3, 2021
  20. bond007

Anyone....