Only bathroom light working. No other upstairs lights. Help please.

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Speakem, Oct 12, 2021.

1. Speakem

Speakem New Member

Hi all. We only have upstairs lighting in the bathroom. Until recently our lights upstairs worked apart from the bathroom. I checked the wiring on the bathroom light fitting and pull switch. Found loose wiring at the fitting, reattached it and now the rest of the lights won't come on. My nephew is a trainee electrician and has checked all light fittings, switches and light bulbs. Power going to each one but still won't come on. Old style wiring in the house. I think it's to do with the wiring at the pull switch and/or bathroom light fittings. Can anyone help me with this problem please?

2. FlyByNight

FlyByNight Screwfix Select

Trainee? How far advanced is he?

Without giving away the possible answer.

Ask him how he proved there was power and how he proved there was a return path? If he has a reasonable amount of knowledge then that should tell him what to look for.

3. quasar9

quasar9 Screwfix Select

Have you tried removing “the lose wire at the bathroom switch” to see if other lights are restored ? This might give a clue to the cause of the problem.

4. spirits are real 2016

spirits are real 2016 Screwfix Select

It sounds like a loose neutral at a celing rose or the bathroom light could be fed from the downstairs circuit and the upstairs coming separately from the consumer unit with a loose neutral in the consumer unit..

tore81 likes this.
  5. Speakem

Speakem New Member

Hi there. Thanks for your reply. I'm going to ask him your questions and let you know what he says.

6. Speakem

Speakem New Member

IMG_20211013_124504520.jpg
    Hi Quasar9. Thanks for your help. The wiring is all connected to the light switch. Photo attached below.

7. bright_Spark

bright_Spark Screwfix Select

A bit of a question which may appear silly but for a reason. Have you tried the other upstairs lights with the bathroom light on or was the bathroom light off when you tried them.

8. Hell68

Hell68 Active Member

Sorry if you've checked already and stating the obvious but have you made sure the trip switch for the upstairs lights are back on?

9. Bazza-spark

Bazza-spark Screwfix Select

Those connections need sorting as there is too much copper on show, and some not under the terminal screw by the looks of it.

You also have only 1 wire in COM and L1 but 3 in L2. I suspect this is incorrect, and the feed to other lights/switches has been mixed up.

How many switches control that light, are there 2?

10. bright_Spark

I was suspecting the same thing and why I asked if the bathroom llight was on or off when testing the upstair lights. If this is the case the other lights should come on if the bathroom light is in the on position.

11. Speakem

Speakem New Member

Hi there. I've tried the upstairs lights with the bathroom light on at the same time but still not working. Thanks

12. bright_Spark

It is certainly looking like it is to do with what you have done, as bazza has said, the light switch looks awfully like that is at fault, I think the feed to the rest of the lights has been wired in wrongly and so you have lost the feed. Try putting all of the reds in the switch into a terminal block and ignore the switch at the moment for the bathroom, then check all other lights, they should work and that will leave your bathroom light permanantly on which is then an easy fix

13. Speakem

Speakem New Member

Hi Bazza. There's only one pull switch for the bathroom and also a separate extractor fan switch next to it. The extractor fan comes on when you pull it's own switch and also goes on and off when you pull the light switch! Thanks

14. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

Show us a picture of wiring at bathroom light fitting. You have possibly disconnected the neutral to the other lights there.

15. Bazza-spark

Bazza-spark Screwfix Select

That pull switch isn't wired correctly as a 1 way switch.

Something definitely iffy there Bright.

16. Speakem

Speakem New Member

Yes done that thanks.

Hell68 likes this.
  17. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

Did you alter any wiring at the switch ?
    Your original post only tells us you found loose connections at light fitting.

18. Speakem

Speakem New Member

Hi Terry. Pic attached

Attached Files:

19. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

That's the switch. I asked for pics of LIGHT fitting wiring.

20. Speakem

Speakem New Member

Didn't alter any wiring at first, then my nephew a trainee sparky had a look and swapped the wires around until the bathroom light came back on. Other upstairs lights flickered and then stopped working. All light switches and ceiling roses checked and no loose wiring in any of them. Thanks again.