Virtually impossible 2 gang 2 way switch

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Adam Peters, Oct 13, 2021.

1. Adam Peters

Adam Peters New Member

Hi
    I have ceiling rose however wanting to change it to downlights.

i want to install 8 downlights on a 2 gang switch with 4 being operated by 1 switch and 4 on the other.

Is this possible, if so does anyone have a diagram. Appreciated for the help.

2. FlyByNight

FlyByNight Screwfix Select

Dimmers or not?

Are you able to run new cables to the switch from teh ceiling?

If so, yes a fairly simple task. Might needs Wago XL/XLA in te ceiling.

3. Victor Lek

Victor Lek Member

Pretty straight forward.. you can use 2 of this. Please note I’m not a spark but have done this several times and works as it should. Remember that cables should be twin and earth. 1.5mm .. you can algo do it with twin and earth 1mm
    these are 20a 4 terminal junction boxes
    https://www.screwfix.com/p/20a-4-terminal-junction-box-white/1239d
    I hope it helps

upload_2021-10-13_21-24-0.png

Last edited: Oct 13, 2021
  4. Adam Peters

Adam Peters New Member

The ceiling rose has a wire that goes in the next room, is that diagram for the 2 gang 2 way?

5. FlyByNight

That is just a standard rose wiring and not relevant to your question.

6. Adam Peters

Adam Peters New Member

True

7. Victor Lek

Victor Lek Member

Adam, fly.. why you say that?
    If he has a ceiling rose then he has a line in.. he only has connect that line into the junction box and connect the first switch of the 2 gangs there..then from that junction box the line out can be the line in for the second junction box feeding the second set of 4 lamp for the second switch of the 2 gangs.. and from that second rose, the line out must go to the next room..
    I’ve done it many times.. I’m not a spark but that circuit has been signed off by an inspector. It’s correct diagram and relevant for what he needs to do..

If you think is not correct.. why not add your proposed diagram instead ?

FlyByNight likes this.
  8. Andy Electrician

Andy Electrician New Member

Try a dimmer if struggling its a lot easier and look nice too.

9. FlyByNight

NO IT IS NOT. Where is the second switch wire coming from?

And what about maintenance free JBs?

Andy Electrician likes this.
  10. The Happy Builder

The Happy Builder Screwfix Select

None of us actually knows how the existing lights are wired :rolleyes:

11. FlyByNight

And that is why my first question is can the OP run cables from switch to rose ...

The Happy Builder likes this.
  12. Victor Lek

Victor Lek Member

Still don’t see any actual proposal other than saying no, no, no… the second switch comes from the second junction box which has one feed in, one feed out, one GOING TO SWITCH and another going to the lamps..

13. MGW

MGW Screwfix Select

I wanted to do some thing similar, replacing a landing lights for a unit with all dangle bits with 5 GU10 bulbs, I want centre bulb colour changing but outer 4 on standard switch, and there are a host of ways to do it.
    1) Smart bulb in centre.
    2) Smart relay in lamp.
    3) Swap upper switch for two gang.
    4) Swap both upper and lower for two gang.
    5) Use wireless switches.
    6) Use smart switches.
    The list goes on and on, and you have to decide how easy to thread wires, if you walk around with phone in you pocket all day, if you want remote controls, will the remote have a pocket so it is stored on the wall where normally used, each option has plus and minus, the smart relay can be switched by wall switch or phone, the smart bulb if off at switch then phone will not turn it on.

I am using temporary a smart bulb, I will use a smart relay DSC_6061.jpg and a smart bulb, only reason for smart bulb is so I can change colour, but there are so many options today, the advantage of smart relay is switch or phone can work same as normal two way switching.

When we sign the minor works we sign that we have designed the circuit, and today we really do design it, we don't just select one of a number of standard methods.

Adam Peters likes this.