Is this a good roofing job?

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by DarrenM1991, Oct 14, 2021.

1. DarrenM1991

DarrenM1991 New Member

Hi everyone, i appreciate that the images i am attaching are not great but i was wondering if anyone could advise me on a roofing job i had done this week.

I hired some roofers to re-roof my bay window.

I have added two photos and wanted to get an opinion from you guys on the corners. The original job quote did not mention ridge tiles and the roofer did say he was going to use marley tiles instead of rosemary ones to save money, which i accepted. But i did not anticipate there being such large gaps between the tiles in the corner.

Maybe I am being irrational, but could someone please advise me if this seems like okay work?

Thank you in advance

Attached Files:

2. Jiml86

Jiml86 Screwfix Select

That looks awful to be fair, not irattional

Kitfit likes this.
  3. jonathanc

jonathanc Guest

terrible. what did he save - maybe 50 quid. more like he had some left over from another job.

nice broken tile on the middle row of picture 63391 as well.

as a DIY roofer i would be embarrassed by that

Kitfit likes this.
  4. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Looks like the work of a conscientious chancer

Astramax likes this.
  5. DarrenM1991

DarrenM1991 New Member

Thank you for your feedback everyone, can anyone advise me on if i have rights to refuse payment until it is fixed (if it can be fixed)?

I have a copy of the original job that the roofer described for me below

I have a quote for the new bay roof you requested, the work will invoke
    • scaffolding
    • removal of existing roof
    • replaced with breathable waterproof felt
    • replaced with new treated batons
    • replace with new larger Marley flat pan tiles
    • replace new lead
    • use a lead sealant to seal lead work
    • remove all existing rubbish
    For us to complete this work comes to £1500 vat inc. And our work will come with a full 10 year guarantee.

6. Jiml86

Jiml86 Screwfix Select

100 percent!! Don't hand over a penny until it's put right, looking at that I'd doubt if he knows how to put it right!

Delighted to hear you haven't paid yet!

7. DarrenM1991

DarrenM1991 New Member

Thank you for your advice, i am as well. But i have a feeling he will try pressuring me for payment constantly

8. Jiml86

Jiml86 Screwfix Select

Let him pressure all he wants he hasn't a leg to stand on.

9. jonathanc

jonathanc Guest

Why not apart from the broken tile has he not completed the scope of work?

10. Jiml86

Jiml86 Screwfix Select

Seriously? Look at the state of the hips. You'd pay for that would you? Not having a go but if that's what you can see what's the rest like? I'd make him get it out right and a second opinion on the job as a whole in so far as possible but I wouldn't hand over a penny til it was done

11. GRH

GRH Active Member

On a house like I would have replaced like for like. I don't know what you had before, but at the very least I would have wanted slate and proper terracotta ridge tiles. Look at those lovely ridge tiles on the main roof. I agree with Johnathanc, probably had some left over and shifted them onto you. Reminds me of those wonderful people who 'have just finished a drive and have some tarmac left over....' knocking on your door.

12. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Jonathan is correct, although it looks total shat, his quoted scope of work is complete and presumably it doesn't leak, so actually he does have standing to request payment.

13. jonathanc

jonathanc Guest

the biggest issue is the tile - they are i believe Marley Modern but you are snookered as that is what was in the quote. would have been better to reuse what was up there before replacing any broken ones i guess

14. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/c...ovements-done/problem-with-home-improvements/

I don't disagree with this.

British lead shows how hips should be constructed using lead https://www.britishlead.co.uk/basic-fitting-guides What you have is rubbish, therefore not done with reasonable skill and care. I wouldn't be paying until its sorted. However, I also agree with @Jord86 - he has done what his quote says, so you do have a bit of a fight.

Perhaps send the photos to Marley and ask if this is the correct way to fit according to their own fitting instructions. If not (it won't be) again you have evidence of absence of skill and care.

15. Jiml86

Jiml86 Screwfix Select

Right I won't argue I'm not in the UK so I don't know what the laws are there but I wouldn't be happy with that quality

16. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

like I said , a conscientious chancer :D

17. Jiml86

Jiml86 Screwfix Select

I wouldn't be certain on it not leaking either, look at the pic that has the broken tile. Just above that at the lead theirs a nice little spot for water to run in.

18. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

You're too kind. The next step would be to investigate the company, being as the quote included VAT and a supposed guarantee then they should be able to be found with a paper trail fairly easily. They certainly are not roofers, probably plasterers or block pavers.

19. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

no they are not and yes I am. It is an ugly attempt at a proper job, but obviously not acceptable