Only bathroom light working. No other upstairs lights. Help please.

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Speakem, Oct 12, 2021.

1. bright_Spark

bright_Spark Screwfix Select

Theres your answer then, right there. put all the red wires from the bathroom switch into a choc bloc and your lights will spring back into action.

2. Tricky Dicky

Tricky Dicky Screwfix Select

Hi, as 'Bright_Spark' says:

Try putting all of the reds in the switch into a terminal block and ignore the switch at the moment for the bathroom, then check all other lights, they should work and that will leave your bathroom light permanently on which is then an easy fix.

Power off, connect ALL 4 wires into a terminal block, power on, and now see what lights come on, if now all your upstairs lights come on, remember to switch each light in in the bedrooms, we are getting somewhere. If the bedroom lights still do not work, then the fault is elsewhere.

Lets see a picture of the wiring in the light fitting, please.... Found loose wiring at the fitting, reattached it and, probably reconnected incorrectly.

3. Speakem

Speakem New Member

Sorry Terry. I haven't much of a clue . New pics attached.

Attached Files:

4. Speakem

Speakem New Member

Hi Tricky Dicky. Do you mean the three red wires all attached to one of the terminals as shown in my first picture? Also, shall I leave the single red wire in L1 and the single red wire in COM where they are! Thanks for your help.

5. bright_Spark

NO put all of them into the choc bloc including the one in L1, all of them together

6. Speakem

Speakem New Member

Ok. Do I get a choc block from Screwfix or another DIY shop? Also, do the wires go in any particular order or does it not matter as long as they are in the block? Sorry for so many questions!

7. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

There are no earth conductors in any of your pics ,and the light fitting in your pic MUST be earthed. I don't think your lighting circuit has any earth's ,so that light fitting should be removed ,as should any others you have that need earthing ,and are not.
    The picture is not clear enough to determine what the conductors are ,is the wire in the centre terminal black insulation with grey outer sheath ? If it is it's probably a neutral and the reason your other lights don't work.

8. bright_Spark

any connector bloc and any order they all go in one connector at the moment
    https://www.screwfix.com/p/16a-12-terminal-terminal-strips-10-pack/91532

Last edited: Oct 13, 2021
  9. Bazza-spark

Bazza-spark Screwfix Select

Use a marker pen or a piece of tape to identify the cable in L1 BEFORE you do this.

bright_Spark likes this.
  10. Speakem

Speakem New Member

Hi Terry. This is an old 1930's house unfortunately with old wiring. Is it possible to get the Earth wiring fitted to the bathroom light or does it have to be a whole house rewire?

11. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

Old installations ,commonly didn't have earth conductors on lighting circuits ,so only plastic switches and light fittings that DO NOT require earthing must only be installed.
    Depending on how old your wiring is ,it may well need a full rewire. Only a skilled electrician on site can evaluate its condition with appropriate test gear.
    Its way outside your nephews current skill set.
    Please answer my question regarding the light fittings wiring.

12. Speakem

Speakem New Member

New pic showing below. Looks like you're right Terry. Middle terminal wire looks grey and/or black. Thanks

Attached Files:

13. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

Turn power off ,clean the crud off the wires and look closely. The grey outer sheath will have an INNER insulation colour ( and I think it's black) .the other two wires should also be black. If so put all black together in the left terminal ( that also has a blue wire in it)
    The far right hand wire I think will have red inner insulation, that stays where it is

14. Speakem

Speakem New Member

I'm going to do this tomorrow as it's too late tonight and the other suggestions. I'll send an update on this thread tomorrow. Thanks to you all for your help

15. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

Before doing anything at the switch ,sort out the wiring at the light fitting.tell us the result. We can then work on the switch wiring.

16. Speakem

Speakem New Member

Hi Terrymac. Just changed the bathroom light wiring as you advised and we now have all but one upstairs bedroom light working. Great result. Thanks to you guys for all your help.

17. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

The bedroom light that isn't working ,post a pic of the wiring at the light fitting. Maybe when nephew was testing it a conductor has come loose.
    Does bathroom light now work ok ,without you changing any wiring at the SWITCH ?

18. Speakem

Speakem New Member

Hi there. I'm going to take a picture tomorrow of the bedroom light fitting. The bathroom light remains on but cannot turn it off and on with the switch. Haven't changed the wiring on the switch as suggested yet. Thanks

terrymac likes this.
  19. Speakem

Speakem New Member

I don't know if this thread is still available but here is a picture of the light fitting in the bedroom. This is the only upstairs light not working now. If someone could have a look please.

Attached Files:

20. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

The two black insulated conductors connections don't look too brilliant in their terminal block. Worth re making those connections.
    Do you have any voltage testing equipment ?
    Is bathroom light switching on ,and off, ok now ?
    Have you checked the bulb in bedroom light is not kaput ?