Plumber caused a leak, now need new filter?

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Joey Ramone, Oct 7, 2021.

1. Joey Ramone

Joey Ramone Member

Okay, now I really need some advice.

The filter has leaked again, which I am guessing means I need a new one. The service company said that would be about £200, which I guess will not include VAT or labour.
    My issue is that it was fine before that service and now all of a sudden it's going to cost me a lot to rectify.

Is there a delicate way of confronting the company with this?

2. jonathanc

jonathanc Guest

Simple really. The leak was caused by the plumber. Not following the maintenance instructions which are to isolate the filter pull the magnet and drain the filter. For some reason he thought it best to interfere with the seal. Tell them to sort the problem they caused or you will employ someone else to do it and recover the cost from them

3. dcox

dcox Screwfix Select

Not that it helps much, but I expect the £200 is supply and fit. Most filters are considerably less than that.

4. Joey Ramone

Joey Ramone Member

Hi again

I've spoken to another plumber who says they can fit me in in a couple of weeks.

It's got worse again. Used to leak when the heating had just been turned off but now it's dropping quite a bit when the heating is on.

I top it up when the heating is off, is that the best way until it's replaced?

Someone linked to a Screwfix filter that has a 10 year guarantee (about £94). It looks easy enough to replace but as I'm not entirely sure, best to leave it to the new plumber.

5. Joey Ramone

Joey Ramone Member

Also, is it safe to keep running?

It's dripping quite a lot now and we have to top it up every time we want to put the heating on. About a litre drips into the jug.

With the lower temperatures this week and the plumber not coming for another couple of weeks, it's a bit of a difficult situation.

Unless there's something I can do to try and temporary restore?

6. Mr.Stefano

Mr.Stefano New Member

Get the plumber back. You don’t pay for a service to be left with a leaking system. He probably took the filter apart instead of pulling the magnet and draining the filter. only plumber service can help you to resolve this issue see professional plumber near you......

7. just pumps

just pumps Screwfix Select

Would like to think it has been fixed by now ;)

BiancoTheGiraffe likes this.
  8. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

We're never know, another Ask & Scarper question! :rolleyes:

9. just pumps

just pumps Screwfix Select

Tis true but I'd guess the OP would of been back asking again if not settled.

10. FlyByNight

FlyByNight Screwfix Select

He is ... wiring plugs to the CU

11. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

What happened.....was it fixed?