Help...RCD keeps tripping

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by DIY_Has123, Oct 16, 2021.

1. Ind spark

Ind spark Screwfix Select

You would need to disconect the faulty leg and put the 2 legs in the consumer unit into seperate 20 amp mcbs.
    Although as said above you might still end up with to much load on one radial and nothing on the other.
    Your spark can investigate further.

2. DIY_Has123

DIY_Has123 Active Member

I believe he already disconnected and taped up the faulty leg (in the island socket) when he came earlier.

Can I connect the two separate 20 amp MCBs myself? (Found some empty ones bottom of consumer unit so shouldn't have to buy any)

There are two brown live wires going in to the original 32amp MCB.

Do I just disconnect both brown lives, connect one brown live into one 20amp MCB and the other brown live into the other 20amp MCB?

See pictures please.

Of course switch off mains first (red switches) haha

Attached Files:

3. Ind spark

Ind spark Screwfix Select

If I was you I'd get him back to do it as he can test it properly and issue you a certificate.

Edit, I'm surprised he didn't do that anyway as the spare mcbs are already there, maybe there's a reason he didn't ?

4. DIY_Has123

DIY_Has123 Active Member

Yeah told him later after he went and he said he didn't see the 20amp mcb. To be fair the consumer unit is above the celler by the entrance so hard to see with lights and mains off. Or maybe it was his tactic as he's now saying £60 callout charge to come and fit.

But am I along the right lines here with each brown live in a seperate 20amp MCB?
    For now may just put in a 20amp MCB and see if anything trips for a few weeks.

5. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

That’s a bit of a random strategy. One of your basic issues is that all of the circuits have just one RCD protecting them. The issue is that circuits and devices can generate some amount of earth leakage. All of these added together can mean that the single RCD may be operating very close to its trip level. It then only takes a dead earwig somewhere to trip the whole shebang.
    The solution is to use multiple RCDs or (better) an RCD per circuit by installing RCBOs.

Changing the MCBs around will have zero effect on the RCD tripping.

6. DIY_Has123

DIY_Has123 Active Member

Thanks for the reply but I honestly don't understand much of that with my limited knowledge of electrics. The electrics in the house has been fine with just the kitchen extension electrics causing this issue and previously some sockets where microwave, toaster and kettle were plugged on just stopped working so had to be replaced.

Right now just want to make the electrics safe and want to know the best solution without a big expensive job, everything was generally working fine all these years and all of sudden bang.

I cannot rewire the faulty leg as the cables are burried below the tiles and probably screed.
    The electrician suggested either a rewire or replacing the 32amp MCB with a 20amp one...so will have to be latter.