Help wiring 3rd gen nest heat link

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by markh1, Oct 16, 2021.

1. PandA3

PandA3 Active Member

Yes I know what you are saying. But the location won’t be the same place, so are you leading him to rewire the Wiring centre to utilise the old demand wires to connect to the old stat wires to connect to the 12v… a bit of a complicated solution for a novice??

2. bright_Spark

bright_Spark Screwfix Select

You need to identify the two stat wires in the wiring centre in your imersion cupboard and identify the HW on and HW off wires and join them together in the wiring centre to use these two wires for your stat

3. PandA3

PandA3 Active Member

Absolutely right. A simple job for a spark. If the OP was a spark do you think he’d be on here asking for wiring advice. i wasn’t being funny either.

4. bright_Spark

I know but he can use the HW on and HW off wires to the stat. that is what I am saying, it is straight forward and simple but you need to know how to identify the cables

5. markh1

markh1 Member

So I really need to learn how to identify wires before I can proceed to rework the existing wiring to connect it to the wall and replace existing stat. I’m guessing it’s a nest pro installer job and not as simple a swap as hoped.

6. bright_Spark

It can bee made more simple if you want to purchase the nest stand and simply plug it in, but if you want to mount the nest stat onto the wall over your existing stat position, then you have to identify the hot water on and off cabes and the old stat wires in the wiring center. So four wires in total then it is a really simple case of putting these wires into two chock blocs to use. All of the wires are there it is just a case of finding them in the wiring center'

7. markh1

markh1 Member

Ok, if I get a stand do I need to still run a cable from the live choc block into number 2 as well as live on the heat link and do I just put the two cables in the existing stat into a separate choc block.

Is wiring so I can use the existing stat a quick enough job for a best installer or is it complicated and going to cost a lot to do?

8. bright_Spark

A nest pro will charge you around £100 to fit it for you, we charge from £90 to £110 depending on what is required.

9. markh1

markh1 Member

Thanks, I think I will leave it to a pro then as will save a lot of hassle!

10. bright_Spark

I
    it is a very simple job

11. markh1

markh1 Member

I’m not one to give up so easily, so just want to clarify you mention I need to find the hw on and off wires in the cupboard, can you please just confirm my understanding below.

If I locate in the cupboard the two wires that connect to the hw on and ch on (these are the two wires in 3 and 4 on the Honeywell), then find in the cupboard the two existing stat wires and basically connect these up so I have two wires running from the stat which will be the ch on and hw wires in the Honeywell clock and these then go in the T1 and T2 of the nest making the 12v connections.

I then put all the clock L and N into the 2 choc blocks and have a single wire from the N block to the N on the nest and same with live but then have a second live to number 2 on the nest (manual mode I assume this allows you to turn the heating on pressing the heat link button on WiFi outages)

Is this all correct?
    If so I assume I can use a length of cable and multimeter to do a continuity test on each of the wires to locate them.

12. bright_Spark

Nearly that mate. you use the HW on and HW off NOT your CH Wires for the STAT

13. markh1

markh1 Member

Thank you again, really appreciate your time taken in responding.

14. bright_Spark

JUST TO BE CLEAR.. USE THE HW ON AND HW OFF WIRES AS YOUR STAT AS THESE ARE NO LONGER USED AS YOU HAVE A COMBI BOILER.

15. bright_Spark

Nice

16. bright_Spark

You need to re read my posts again as you nearly have it but you have quoted HW on and CH on. it is not these at all. It is however HW on and HW off the two that need joining onto your stat wires in the wall

17. bright_Spark

Not particularly as I can well imagine but I am sure that they will suit you fine

18. markh1

markh1 Member

Ok, but the existing wires in the Honeywell are ch on and hw on, so assumed I use these, I just use the hot water one currently in position 3 on Honeywell clock and then likely I will find the other wires stuffed in the wall behind the clock and one will be the hot water off. And then I just stick the ch on wire in the Honeywell clock number 4 into a choc block to cap it off.

19. bright_Spark

Oh hang on mate I am getting confused here now, let me check your pics again to be sure

20. bright_Spark

Yes you have thrown me now into a jibbering wreck