Detached Garage into Office

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Mitch88, Oct 15, 2021.

1. Mitch88

Mitch88 New Member

Hi all,

I'm struggling to separate whats required for attached and detached garage conversions. I have a single skin brick detached garage to the rear of the property. It's sat empty since we've moved in but the brickwork has been done very nicely done. I've been thinking over lockdown it would have been great to have is as a little office/hobby room.

Can anyone answer a few questions I have if so thanks in advance?

1 Can I turn it into a hobby room without needing planning permission.
    2 Can I brick up the garage door with a single skin matching brick.

Nothing externally would be being changed except the look of the garage door.

I would then damp proof, batten, insulate and clad the whole of the interior.

Thanks again in advance and sorry if I've got the nature of this forum wrong regarding questions.

Cheers,
    Mitch

2. jonathanc

jonathanc Guest

Yes to 1 and 2. While different ball game if you were making it a separate dwelling( sleeping cooking and bathroom) which you are not

if you are putting heating in it may fall under building regs

3. Mitch88

Mitch88 New Member

Ah thanks that's what I have been struggling to find the line between. It will not be a separate dwelling I just want a dry room to use as a hobby room basically I won't install any permanent heating but will run power and use an electric oil rad probably.

Do you know if building regulations are needed again no external changes?

Thanks again

4. woodbutcherbower

woodbutcherbower Screwfix Select

Building Regs will be required if you're taking out the garage door and replacing it with a brick infill. LABC will need to inspect the existing slab to determine whether you can build directly off it, or whether a new foundation will be needed. Best advice is to contact your local LABC, explain exactly what you want to do, and then get definitive information directly from them.

5. Mitch88

Mitch88 New Member

Thanks do you have any idea if I were to create a stud partition so the garage door was still able to open and store garden bits of that would avoid the need for building regs?

Thanks again

6. woodbutcherbower

If the garage door was to stay where it is - then yes. It would basically still be a garage with a few partitions in it.

7. Abrickie

Abrickie Screwfix Select

“The conversion of a garage, or part of a garage, into habitable space will normally require approval under the Building Regulations.” Courtesy of the ever useful Planning Portal

stevie22 likes this.
  8. woodbutcherbower

LABC doesn't classify a garage conversion as habitable space unless it includes a kitchen.

https://www.planningportal.co.uk/directory_record/275/habitable_rooms

I'd reiterate my original advice to the OP and suggest he contacts LABC directly to get definitive information for his specific case.

9. Abrickie

Abrickie Screwfix Select

That’s a rather passive aggressive way to distance yourself from your post with regards to partitions, and as the link most definitely fails to support the assertion that
    could you cite your source for this claim please o_O