Drilling into tile taking way too long, am I using the right drill?

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Madmax83, Oct 10, 2021.

1. Madmax83

Madmax83 Active Member

Thanks for this however at £40, that's not cheap plus I don't need all 4 sizes, I only need a 6mm. The ones I posted from Amazon or the Erabeur one from Screwfix are a lot cheaper.

For £40 I can buy a range of diamond bits from different brands. I've noticed though they do sell them individually so I may do this

2. Madmax83

Madmax83 Active Member

Thanks, this is exactly what I've been doing however I've come to the realisation that either I do have porcelain tiles or very tough ceramic tiles. Either way, regular glass bits aren't going to cut it. I am going to invest in a couple of diamond bits then see how that goes

3. Truckcab79

Truckcab79 Screwfix Select

I thought you were certain that you had ceramic but if they are as difficult as you say and now seem less certain I’d lay good money on them being porcelain. Lots of low price options. I’ve used the Erbauer ones several times in the past. Not the best but fine for the money. As a couple of people have already said, keeping the drill bit cool with water will help enormously. Should still be a relatively quick operation with the right tools.

longboat likes this.
  4. longboat

longboat Screwfix Select

If its taking that long to drill one hole then they are either not ceramic or the drill bits you're using are knackered.
    I'd bet that the tiles are actually of the porcelain variety.
    I normally use the bosch multi construction bits when drilling 6mm holes in porcelain. Start with the 4mm and then the 6, the key with these is pressure and cooling. The more force that you can exert on the bit the better but make sure that they don't overheat. Constantly dipping them in water is a must but even then it should only take a couple of minutes max/hole.
    How many holes do you need to drill?

5. Madmax83

Madmax83 Active Member

My drill bits are definitely not knackered, if you read just 2 posts above yours, you'll see this is exactly what i've been doing. I have the Bosch bits as well as the glass bits and both take ages. I go slow and cool regularly to avoid burning out the bits, it just takes forever!

I've done about 10 holes so far. Got another 15-20 to do.

My builder who fitted the bathroom has said they are definitely not porcelain but seem to be very tough ceramic. I found out he used a diamond bit when working on them so this is what I'll do

6. Jiml86

Jiml86 Screwfix Select

I don't know about your bits but the ones I have for tile are meant to be run at high speed and steady pressure (and regularly cooled) never any issue for me.

7. Truckcab79

Likewise. The Bosch tile bits just run at relatively high speed and generally on ceramic tiles no need for cooling. They’re through too quickly for it to matter. Might be worth a photo of the tiles side on, and cut through if you have any spares.

8. Adamfya

Adamfya Screwfix Select

Maybe youve got the drill in reverse?

9. Madmax83

Madmax83 Active Member

So tried it with a diamond bit and problem solved.

Definitely the toughest ceramic tiles I've ever worked on!

10. FlyByNight

FlyByNight Screwfix Select

11. GRH

GRH Active Member

I am not being funny, or sarky - I have no right to because it happened to me. Is the drill turning the right way; I had mine in reverse and just didn't see it and was drilling into a concrete ceiling - it took ages to drill two holes. When I got home and did another job, I realised it too late.

12. Madmax83

Madmax83 Active Member

No it was a couple of diamond bits I got on Amazon. Similar to the Erbauer style but over half the price. I bought two different ones for under £15 and planned to buy the Erbauer one of they didn't work, but they've done the job just fine.

I was only at the property for a short while though so didn't get to drill too many holes. I've still got a lot more to do so will see how well they hold up. But the difference between using these compared to the spear-shaped glass bits or the bosch multi-purpose bits is night and day!

And as for having the drill in reverse... thankfully i'm not that incompetent! Even if I did accidentally have the combi on reverse, the powered drill I switched over to only does one direction at full speed so no, that wasn't the issue.

This experience has taught/confirmed 2 things...
    1. Diamond bits are amazing - First time i've heard about them and used them. They will now be my go-to for tough tiles.
    2. The Bosch multi-purpose bits are also amazing - I already knew these were good but this experience has confirmed it. Although they didn't do much to these really tough tiles, they remained intact whilst being used at very high speeds where other bits had burned off and became blunt.

13. FlyByNight

FlyByNight Screwfix Select

Excellent. I believe I mentioned it above earlier - the larger 20, 22, 25 sizes are great in a drill press when you want to pre-drill a tile to do round a pipe.

14. Adamfya

Adamfya Screwfix Select

I dont rate those Bosch multipurpose bits, seem like a jack of all trades expert at none, lazy mans type of tool...
    Can see how it would save time if using all day though...just my oppinion.

Glad you found something to make life a little essier.

15. longboat

longboat Screwfix Select

Although they are marketed as a 'multipurpose bit' they are still without doubt the best masonry drill bit I've ever used in a combi drill and that's the main reason I buy them.
    They work great on tiles too. :)

malkie129 and Adamfya like this.
  16. Madmax83

Madmax83 Active Member

Have you tried them out of interest?

I agree with longboat, they may be jack of all trades but they seem to do each material better than most of the specific bits for that material.

Have a watch of this comparison and see if this changes your mind - Which Hammer Drill Bit is Best?

I've also heard the Dewalt Extreme bits are very good for masonry and have them on my list if ever the Bosch bits fail but so far the Bosch bits haven't let me down and i've used them for years!

17. Adamfya

Adamfya Screwfix Select

Yes i have tried them.

18. Truckcab79

The dewalt extreme are superb. I’ve only used them in the larger sizes 10-16mm. Bought some by chance when I was struggling to drill some sandstone. Made the non-branded ones that I’d been using look like I’d put them in back to front.

19. Adamfya

Adamfya Screwfix Select

Likewise used the dewalt extreme hss with the flute shank. Excellent bit of kit

20. acevid

acevid New Member

Good point above, start with small drill bits and then work up