How do I make my doors look antique Victoria style?

Discussion in 'Getting Started FAQ' started by RichardT, Oct 13, 2021.

1. RichardT

RichardT New Member

I’m buying cheap doors in B&Q (see image) and want to make them look like old Victorian doors (see image). What’s best to use? Oil, Wax, stain? Any good products?
    464F4C31-31AF-4782-8D38-FC06753AB90C.jpeg 57F867A1-484B-4A0D-AB46-6FFB697B65AB.jpeg

2. woodbutcherbower

woodbutcherbower Screwfix Select

The main reasons why old pine looks the way it does, are that;

a) it's old, and it darkens over time, and ...
    b) it's invariably been dipped a in bath of boiling caustic soda (stripped doors) which darkens it and bleaches out the timber's tannins.

So - tried and trusted method based on 40 years experience;

1 Apply Finney's waterbased penetrating 'Stripped Old Pine' wood stain;

https://finneyswoodfinishes.co.uk/Finney's_Professional_Water_Stains_-_Traditional_Shades

2 Apply Briwax - Medium Brown. Loads of suppliers on Ebay.

3 Buff using a soft cloth. Result = 100-year-old doors.

FYI - I'm a professional joiner who does this an awful lot. Attached are a few snapshots of a set of alcove bookcases (1876 schoolhouse in Warwickshire) plus a heritage Edwardian narrowboat (Trent Lock, Derbyshire) fit-out I did recently. Both done using the above method to show you how brand-new whitewood reacts to this treatment. Hope this helps.

IMG_1450.jpg IMG_1451.jpg IMG_3375.jpg IMG_3377.jpg IMG_3630.JPG

Last edited: Oct 14, 2021
    AliceT, Mr Rusty, RichardT and 2 others like this.
  3. woodbutcherbower

He saw the reply on Saturday at 10.49pm, but couldn't spare three seconds of precious time to write the word 'thanks'.

Just one of dozens I could have picked out over the last month or so.

So many entitled, ignorant people on here :(

4. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

As a rough rule of thumb, if a new members very first post doesn't include "Hello/hi", "Please" "Cheers/thanks in advance", "regards", or any other basic manners then it's a good bet that they won't waste more of their time than they have to by replying with simple gratitude. You get wise to it and eventually cherrypick the ones you feel will actually appreciate, listen and use your advice accordingly. I'm glad it's not just me that it niggles.

Astramax and Mr Rusty like this.
  5. woodbutcherbower

I know mate. I also can't help noticing that it's the same small group of people who constantly provide replies containing good advice and solid help - you, Willy, Wayners, kitfit1, CGN, Adamfya, Bazzaspark and a few others.

It also stuns me just how many people write a post, then never come back to read the replies which others have often taken a lot of time and trouble to write. Utterly pointless. Hey ho.

6. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Being fair, perhaps some don't bother to log in to read the replies so it doesn't show that they've read them, but then that's just as rude as not bothering to say a quick cheers guys or whatever. It used to be a good craic on here with loads of really good knowledgeable blokes and the banter to match, but the last couple of years it's sadly gone downhill due to a number of reasons. Still, for every ten ignorant ninnyheads there's one genuinely grateful recipient, poor odds but still worth doing.

WillyEckerslike likes this.
  7. Truckcab79

Truckcab79 Screwfix Select

Your frustration with the OP aside many thanks for the answer. I’ll be giving that a try. Lovely finish.

woodbutcherbower likes this.
  8. woodbutcherbower

You're most welcome.

See? How easy was that? :)

9. james the restorer

james the restorer New Member

woodbutcherbower likes this.
  10. woodbutcherbower

11. Bazza-spark

Bazza-spark Screwfix Select

I think sometimes they get embarrassed at the answer they get so choose to ignore it. I never check if my post has been read.

12. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

I'll take the opportunity to say thanks to all the regulars. Even though I like to think I am a "helper" rather than an "enquirer" most of the time, I think on balance I learn more things I didn't know from the forum, than the suggestions I give.

13. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

During the late 70's through to the early 90's my wife and I had an antique pine stripping business where we stripped repaired and sold renovated pine furniture when it was the 'in demand' era, the caustic tank dip gave the pine a good colour base to work from after washing off and neutralizing the caustic soda.

This is how I would age your new doors for that true Victorian pine look. Apply a strong sugar soap mix to the doors with a paint brush (wear eye protection and vinyl gloves) and let dry, once dry sand the door all over with 150 grit to flatten the raised grain then apply a second coat of the sugar soap, when that has dried apply a good coating of (spirit version) Colron Light Oak wood stain thinned 50/50 with white spirit and wipe off whilst still wet with a dry cloth, leave to dry and apply one coat of cellulose sanding sealer which dries rapidly, a going over with 240 grit to flatten off followed by applying Briwax Antique Brown with 0000 wire wool in the direction of the grain buffing off with a shoe brush when dry to get a soft gloss look. Apply the Briwax at least 2 times...polish on ...buff off twice.

Back in those times we had access to plenty of caustic which we would have used to give new timber an aged appearance, for this application sugar soap will provide a near as effect.

14. LPatz

LPatz New Member

Thanks so much for the tips, this is exactly the kind of advice I was looking for! Will be giving what you recommended a try on my pine doors :)

15. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

16. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Screwfix moderators biggest mistake to date:(:(:(!

Rosso, Bazza-spark and CGN like this.
  17. Truckcab79

Truckcab79 Screwfix Select

Yep. Not sure what his transgression was but I had so much good advice from him. Very much missed.

18. Bazza-spark

Bazza-spark Screwfix Select

He was a very knowledgeble guy and should still be here advising.

Rosso, Astramax and CGN like this.
  19. Rosso

Rosso Screwfix Select

Do you recall a stroppy lady with holes in her floor- caused by 'pitting', then a complaining about those who had not been as helpful as she might have liked...
    then certain comments in the joke thread suddenly disappeared.
    Then suddenly Mr Bowyer was no more.

20. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

He got into an argument with someone on one of the hot topics of the moment (vaccinations I think) and picked up an SFP holiday/short break. He logged in to the forum somehow whilst on 'holiday' and ended up being permanently emigrated. I'm pretty sure that's how it went down.

Anyhow all is not lost. He is a regular contributor on the FOG (Festool Owner's Group) and unsurprisingly doesn't mince his words on occasion. Being mostly populated by over entitled yanks, some of them don't get that they've just been slapped down so it's quite amusing sometimes.

Even more unsurprising - and here's the good bit - he's still creating some fantastic work and posting pictures of it. I'll post a link in an edit. What a loss to this forum that work of his quality and the generosity of spirit to share his knowledge and experience was taken away.

Edit: This for instance - https://www.festoolownersgroup.com/...ak-front-kitchen-dresser/msg675660/#msg675660

Last edited: Oct 5, 2022
    CGN, Bazza-spark, Abbadon2001 and 3 others like this.