Coving awkward area

Discussion in 'Other Trades Talk' started by Marc Berry, Oct 20, 2021.

1. Marc Berry

Marc Berry Member

Hi all

We are finally getting to the point, at least in the living room where I'm starting to tackle some of the lighter but fiddlier things.

I'm not great at coving mainly due to the angles but i did make a decent job of it in our bedroom. However in the living room is an angled box that surrounds the chimney breast bracket when we had it removed and i don't know what I'd do.

I'm trying to attach a photo but i can't get it to. I can upload to immgr but the link then shows broken on here?

Any help or pointers to good guides would be welcome.

Cheers, Marc

2. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

2mb or less, press the 'upload a file button' next to the reply button. In the absence of a photo, if the area is too awkward or impossible to cove then either run the coving to the ends and cut a return mitre stop end, or alter the protrusion into a box shape that can be coved easily.

Marc Berry likes this.
  3. Marc Berry

Marc Berry Member

Cool thanks, hopefully that's attached.

Attached Files:

4. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

Personally I wouldn't cove around it - stop either side. It's going to be a feature whatever you do.

Marc Berry likes this.
  5. Marc Berry

Marc Berry Member

I thought that, the only thing i wondered is if it looks weird with a vertical stop on that left bit when the slope continues away.

6. robertpstubbs

robertpstubbs Screwfix Select

You would cut an angle on the left bit of coving to match the angle on the boxing.

Marc Berry likes this.
  7. Marc Berry

Marc Berry Member

I guess i could try with some scrap a few times to try to get it right

8. I-Man

I-Man Screwfix Select

I've done a fair bit of coving, but it won't be possible cove around it because of the sloped section marked in red
    upload_2021-10-20_10-11-15.png
    You can cove right up to the box as per yellow outlines, that would give the best finish IMO.

(excuse the crude markings)

Attached Files:

Marc Berry likes this.
  9. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

There’s generally 2 methods used here-

1. Run cove tight (touching) to box section on both sides, fill any gaps with cove adhesive and ready to paint

2. Leave a gap between end of cove and box section, maybe 25mm and finish ends of cove with a return mitre (just goggle the method, You Tube, etc)

As above, running the cove around the box not only will highlight the section but, more importantly, will also do your head in :)

As you say, have a trial with some scrap cove, either hold in place with some gaffer tape or blobs of cove adhesive as temporary measure and then decide when it’s staring you in the face

Good luck

Marc Berry and Muzungu like this.
  10. Muzungu

Muzungu Screwfix Select

Is it subjective, a matter of aesthetics, but a return mitre may well look more "finished" rather than just butting up to the angle. Takes a bit of practice but looks more professional in my humble opinion.

It would be impossible to cove round the angle neatly as the vertical height of the coving would change on the angle.

Marc Berry likes this.
  11. Marc Berry

Marc Berry Member

Cheers all I'll have a mess about with scrap and report back when I've got it done :)

12. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Like this

IMG_1641.JPG

13. Marc Berry

Marc Berry Member

I thought I'd quickly ask another question on this thread rather than start another.

In the kitchen, we are going to use a upvc window sill. The area directly below and around it will be tiled.

The question is, do i tile the rest first like the sides then install the upvc sill or do i install the sill first and then tile up to it?

14. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

It's whatever looks best to you but a few ways to do it.

One not mentioned so far is
    Red bit is cove and follow angles and fill in ends flat. IMG_20211020_210830.jpg
    Yellow mask off slope and paint white with ceiling. Blends in

Marc Berry likes this.
  15. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Tile first, then fit cill, though I would recommend anything other than uPVC because in my opinion they look absolutely shat and scratch as soon as you breathe on it.

Mr Rusty, Marc Berry and CGN like this.
  16. Marc Berry

Marc Berry Member

Thanks mate