Adding spur sockets in the the garage

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Sturge8, Oct 20, 2021.

1. Sturge8

Sturge8 New Member

Hi

An electrician installed a ring comprising of two double sockets in my garage.
    Is it ok to add two additional spurs as shown in my diagram?

I feel adding these is something I can manage myself but wanted to check first.

I'd welcome any help.

All the best,

Rob

Attached Files:

2. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

What makes you think it is a ring final circuit ? What MCB ,or fuse, rating protects the circuit ?

3. If it is indeed a ring why would you want to spur off it rather than put the additional 2 sockets in the ring.

4. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

If it's wired the way you've shown and it is in fact a ring it will be fine.

5. bright_Spark

bright_Spark Screwfix Select

I wouldnt have bothered with a ring for two sockets myself but there is nothing wrong with your drawing. I am assuming they are RCD protected?

6. Sturge8

Sturge8 New Member

I'm sorry I don't know.

7. Sturge8

Sturge8 New Member

If I photographed the setup in the garage that might help explain better.

8. Sturge8

Sturge8 New Member

Great cheers, thanks for confirming Senca. :)

9. Sturge8

Sturge8 New Member

The electrician installed the two sockets in the ring. Thank you for confirming I can add the two spur sockets.
    I'm intending to install these additional sockets—are they RCD protected?

10. sparky steve

sparky steve Screwfix Select

The sockets you have linked to are not rcd protected sockets. Do you have RCD protection at your consumer unit? Post photo of your consumer unit.

11. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

Then you should find out before doing anything.

12. bright_Spark

bright_Spark Screwfix Select

13. Sturge8

Sturge8 New Member

Do these images of the consumer unit help tell you if the sockets will be RCD protected?
    Consumer unit 2.jpg Consumer unit.jpg

14. sparko69

sparko69 Screwfix Select

It doesn't look like you have got rcd protection but at least the 2 sockets are wired as a ring final...:)
    What a waste of cable

15. Jimbo

Jimbo Screwfix Select

Maybe it’s RCD protected at the other end of that SWA supply.

16. Sturge8

Sturge8 New Member

What do you mean ring final?
    Do I still need to buy an RCD socket? None of the sockets which the electrician installed look like an RCD socket.

17. Sturge8

Sturge8 New Member

What is an SWA supply?

18. An RCD is a small switch that quickly turns off when there is a fault with the electricity. It keeps you safe.

They are normally in the consumer unit but yours does not appear to have them.

The best thing is to get a professional in to do the work you want. This will ensure it is safe and meets current standards.

John_MacKinnon likes this.
  19. Comlec

Comlec Screwfix Select

The SWA (Steel Wire Armoured) is the black cable supplying your consumer unit.

20. If you post a similar photo of the consumer unit in your house we might be able to tell if the circuit that supplies power to your garage is rcd protected.

As seneca said, you can wire them as you propose. But you could also keep it as a ring instead of spurring off (ie if you put where your junction box is in your drawing and didn't spur off, you'd still have the 2 extra sockets and they would be part of the ring). I suppose it's down to what's easiest for you