Radiator fitted the wrong way

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by DIY_Has123, Oct 23, 2021.

1. DIY_Has123

DIY_Has123 Active Member

So I had the acova 3 column radiator from Screwfix fitted yesterday. But I believe it has been fitted the wrong side.

Instructions manual clearly states:
    VERY IMPORTANT:
    PLEASE NOTE: WHEN CONNECTING THE PIPE-
    WORK TO THE RADIATOR, THE WATER MUST
    ENTER THE RADIATOR AT THE BOTTOM CORNER DIAGONALLY OPPOSITE THE AIR VENT AND EXIT
    AT THE BOTTOM CORNER BELOW THE AIR VENT.

The TRV has been fitted on the RIGHT side. See images.

The air vent is on the TOP LEFT.

When tested after fitting, the LEFT side pipe was much hotter so I believe this is the flow or intake pipe??

All the radiators in the house have TRV on right so I assumed this is the flow side though I know a TRV can be fitted on either side but better on flow side.

This radiator is fully reversible so should I flip it around to follow manufacturers instruction and also connect TRV on left side???

Attached Files:

2. dcox

dcox Screwfix Select

To follow the instructions, the air vent needs to be moved to the other end of the rad. You’d normally have the TRV on the flow side but not necessary if (like most) it’s bidirectional. Simplest solution would be to close both valves and swap the vent with the blanking nut, or you could drain down and turn the radiator around end to end as you suggest.

3. exbg

exbg Screwfix Select

How does the rad perform? I don’t do much plumbing but many designer rads are omnidirectional, the flow must be as specified. I don’t see why the vent needs to be in a specific orientation if the flow can be reversed.

Maybe someone with more experience on these can explain?

4. jonathanc

jonathanc Guest

Does it heat up? Does the trv shut off when hot enough? If the answer to both is yes it’s fine.

I’d be more concerned by the haphazard mix of fittings: I would stick to one brand. Also using speedfit on the black pipe? Is it copper. Plus those nice shiny copper valves when they could have been Matt black

5. exbg

exbg Screwfix Select

Only just noticed the images, including the direction of flue. It appears that the flue should be on the left - so is correct. Just reposition the vent if you feel necessary. However, I always fitted vents on right, unless household was predominantly left handed or there was some form
    if restricted acccess for ones hand on the right

6. DIY_Has123

DIY_Has123 Active Member

Just to clarify guys, I don't think the air vent can be swapped to the other side on this radiator. You just have to flip the whole radiator by fitting the removable support brackets to front.

Can someone just please confirm the Left side is the flow side if this is the first to get hot???

It seems like I do have to swap the radiator around AND also swap the TRV to the left side (if its flow/intake side).

Last edited: Oct 23, 2021
  7. DIY_Has123

DIY_Has123 Active Member

Honestly appreciate the response and thank you but everytime I post on here some are just nitpicking and finding unnecessary faults and raising concerns.

Honestly does it really matter if its all securely fitted and tested with no leaks.

And does it really matter if its nice shiny copper valves or black or other colour when its all going to be buried below the floor board.

The black pipe is from a reputable online supplier and designed to carry water and work just like copper pipes.

Would rather just have simple answers to answer my query. Thanks :)

Abrickie and Severntrent like this.
  8. DIY_Has123

DIY_Has123 Active Member

Also yes it heats up fine but not sure how to tell if TRV shuts off and does what it's suppose to, not too clued up on central heating and radiators

9. Ad_g

Ad_g Active Member

The pipe that gets hot first will be your flow, however the Drayton TRV4 valve you have is bidirectional so will work fine on the return as you have it.

If the radiator has a fixed vent then it may be that it has baffles inside to ensure the whole thing gets hot, some designer radiators are unidirectional.

I’ve not seen any where you can’t move the vent though. Often they come pre-installed but can be moved. I nearly got caught out by one that they were pre-installed but not tight, I realised as the heating was filling but thankfully before that radiator had filled!

10. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

If it heats fully you don't need to do anything. The pipe that heats up first is indeed the flow.

11. exbg

exbg Screwfix Select

Spellcheck changed “flow” to @flue” but spotted after the (stupid) allowed limited edit time

12. Severntrent

Severntrent Screwfix Select

Unfortunately people do tend to go off at a complete tangent, had one bloke complaining about spellcheck and stupid edit time when all the OP wanted was advice on fitting a radiator correctly. Damn, I've gone off at a tangent .

13. DIY_Has123

DIY_Has123 Active Member

Haha how could you tell it was a Drayton TRV...did you zoom right into the first image lol

Anyway the other side is welded in and definitely can't move the vent to that side. The bolt is there just a part of aesthetics design. See image.

Looks like I will have to swap the radiator around and chnage the TRV to other side as its recommended to be on flow side though I know not necessary.

Attached Files:

14. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

Is the black pipe copper ,with a black coating ? The left elbow looks like tectite push fit ,is it ? ( Not suitable for plastic pipe )
    It's up to you if you want to turn the rad ,but it's quite pointless.

15. DIY_Has123

DIY_Has123 Active Member

I think they're brass and are described as water carrying pipes. Here's the link:

https://www.victorianplumbing.co.uk/180mm-matt-black-tubes-plates-for-radiator-valves

I would rather follow the manufacturers instruction on manual sheet as it clearly states air vent must be diagonally opposite where water enters the radiatior. They have highlighted VERY IMPORTANT and MUST for a good reason.

16. Adamfya

Adamfya Screwfix Select

I take it this was the rad you were fixing to the wall Diy??
    How did you get on with the fixings in the end??

17. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

Ok ,go for it. My concern is the fittings that you have used ( push fit) and their compatibility with the brass ,coated black,pipe. Both rely on a grab ring to securely hold the pipe by digging into the plastic or copper pipe ( both of which are soft) . Brass being a harder metal may not be as secure. You cannot (for instance) use chrome plated copper pipes for either of those fittings.

jonathanc likes this.
  18. jonathanc

jonathanc Guest

Having checked the speedfit info it says suitable for plastic and copper. It does not mention brass pipe

sadly whoever did this not only didn’t read the instruction on the radiator. They also used the wrong push fit fittings. Was he a plumber???

19. Adamfya

Adamfya Screwfix Select

Oh....you 2 are going to get shot down in a min!!:D:eek:

20. DIY_Has123

DIY_Has123 Active Member

Used the long fixings I mentioned :)