Airbricks in Victorian house

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Marine boy, Oct 24, 2021.

1. Marine boy

Marine boy Member

I have had a constant issue with damp under my suspended floor. No rot as yet but the edge of one of my carpets smells musty and mouldy and this is coming up from the sub floor void. I think that the sub floor ventilation is insufficient. As you can see the airbricks (one of four at the rear of the house) have pretty small holes, and when I removed one of them there was some rubble behind it, not entirely blocking the hole but enough to impede air flow. So I’ve knocked up a prototype grill which I intend to sit on a fillet of concrete and seal around the edges. Is this feasible, or will there be any problems?

Also, the front of the house has only two airbricks, one either side of the bay window about 3 metres apart. I feel that another one under the bay would be helpful. Is it doable to knock a hole in the (solid) wall there to open into the sub floor and fit a grille?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

FF7CA689-3669-49F9-B0D7-6952800DC8BE.jpeg

C2DAA482-4262-4460-A60C-4D9AE779E895.jpeg

2. quasar9

quasar9 Screwfix Select

Why not simply buy and install a new clay airbrick, commonly available and would look better and in keeping with your property. Plus , will last the life of the house.

also, check the DPC is not bridged by clay rubble or soil or damaged itself.

3. sparky steve

sparky steve Screwfix Select

Whatever you decide to install? Consider fitting vents which incorporate rodent prevention. Mice for example, can squeeze through holes no bigger than the diameter of a pencil.

4. Marine boy

Marine boy Member

That’s a good point re the look of the thing. I just wanted something which would allow as much airflow as possible

5. Marine boy

Marine boy Member

Yes, thanks, that was the idea of the steel mesh.

6. Abrickie

Abrickie Screwfix Select

Plastic airbrick of the same size offers approximately 4 times the ventilation ;)

CGN likes this.
  7. Marine boy

Marine boy Member

8. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

I took out the old ones on my 30’s house and fitted the new plastic type plus a few extra ones. Good draught running under the floor now.