Understairs storage system

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Kitfit, Oct 24, 2021.

1. Kitfit

Kitfit Member

I've a customer who wants an understairs storage system with drawers installed.
    Only thing is that is that it's a townhouse build and the existing cupboard has a fire door fitted. The underneath of the stairs is boarded with plasterboard.
    The existing door is to stay but to the right they want 3 drawers fitted for shoes etc.
    I don't know if this is allowed under regulations and any advice is welcome
    Thanks

Attached Files:

2. woodbutcherbower

woodbutcherbower Screwfix Select

I did the same thing for a customer awhile ago, as part of a stair refurb. I trawled the regs without finding anything at all. I also spoke to the local BCO on the phone and he didn't seem to have any idea. Since the local fire station was just round the corner however, I asked one of the officers to pop round and have a look just to be sure. The guy told me that in his opinion the fire door was completely superfluous as the staircase was only a few metres from the front door, and didn't form part of the escape route out of the building, so I went ahead and built it using a combination of cheap IKEA drawers and a face frame to hold it all together. The lady wanted drawers, a wine rack and a small pull-out for 0.00001% of her shoe collection :) It all looked good when it was painted. Sorry I can't be more specific.

IMG_2082.JPG IMG_2111.jpg IMG_2126.JPG IMG_2127.JPG IMG_2128.JPG IMG_2129.JPG

Singhs9 and WillyEckerslike like this.
  3. Kitfit

Kitfit Member

Thanks

Nice looking job.
    Only thing is that this being a 3 storey townhouse is that this forms part of the escape route.
    Going to have to try and contact Building control to make sure.
    Don't want to drop myself into the proverbial.
    Cheers

4. FUNDIMOLD

FUNDIMOLD Active Member

Great job Wood. I want to use the understair space to hide the hoover and printer paper. I was quoted £450 to cut out the shape, frame and install a door only. How does that sound?
    And what material is that original stair side panel made of?

5. woodbutcherbower

Thanks very much, glad you like it. That price sounds OK to me. The original stair side panel (I assume you mean the stringer - the timber which supports the actual stair treads?) was painted pine, around 9" x 2" IIRC. I mortised on a new oak newel post at the bottom (also bolted to the joists) and top (fixed using threaded steel rod and polyester anchor resin), plus replacement oak base and handrails to support glass panels. The gaps/damage at the top and bottom of the stringer were concealed using timber mouldings. I also used flat sections of oak to conceal the transitions between the original post stubs and the new oak ones (see last pic of another one I've just done). Hope that answers your question.

IMG_2086.JPG IMG_2091.JPG IMG_2103.jpg IMG_2104.jpg IMG_2108.jpg
    IMG_0563.jpg

Last edited: Oct 24, 2021
  6. woodbutcherbower

Thanks. Yep - phone call to LABC and get it straight from the horse's mouth. Hope all goes well.

7. FUNDIMOLD

FUNDIMOLD Active Member

Thank you for the update - may we assume that was a job for a customer? Bet they were pleased!

8. woodbutcherbower

I'd like to think that my customers are always pleased :)