Smart meter threatening text

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by goldwise, Oct 26, 2021.

1. goldwise

goldwise Active Member

Had a text from Eon saying if I don't have smart meters fitted (as per the terms of the fixed term contract) it may have to switch me to a more expensive variable tariff.

Has anyone else had these texts and knows what comes next?

Is this the time to cave in and agree to smart meters?

2. Muzungu

Muzungu Screwfix Select

goldwise likes this.
  3. Jimbo

Jimbo Screwfix Select

Why would one not want a meter that saves the bother of reading it? To avoid it seems a bit like wanting Google search results delivered by Royal Mail.

Anyway, Octopus have created some interesting tariffs (Go and Agile) that make use of 30-minute interval readings to provide access to time of day pricing. Obviously that really only benefits those with storage requirements (be that home or EV). But prices can occasionally go negative and that's quite nice for those that can use it.

Re variable tariff... if the tariff in question is their standard product, it is likely protected by the price cap and actually cheaper than anything else at the moment.

4. The Happy Builder

The Happy Builder Screwfix Select

Check out what Martin Lewis has to say about the variable tariff bring the best option at this time.

just pumps likes this.
  5. The Happy Builder

The Happy Builder Screwfix Select

You said it yourself, you signed a contract to say you will have a smart meter.

Jord86 likes this.
  6. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

Sounds more like the time to change suppliers to me! Unless of course you did sign a contract to say you'll have one.

malkie129 likes this.
  7. goldwise

goldwise Active Member

I do wonder if they end the fixed term contract and put me on a variable contract, would there still be exit fees of £30-40 x2 to switch supplier?

And would there be any point as cheaper deals would no doubt come with agreement to have smart meters fitted?

If they let me know what I will pay if I refuse the meters, then I could make an informed decision.

I have never refused smart meters, just don't want them now. It's not essential work after all.

8. jonathanc

jonathanc Guest

quite easy really - never refuse a smart meter but if every appointment they can offer is at an inconvenient time because you work nights and cannot make a daytime appointment then it becomes difficult for the supplier to say you have breached your agreement

9. adgjl

adgjl Screwfix Select

This is all a bit silly really, due to the UK government in charge at the time. It is bizarre that the customer can veto the supplier’s choice of meter. It can’t last, as there are no (or very few) compliant non-smart meters being built now. The only option soon will be a smart meter with the SIM card not fitted, or the Comms module disabled.

The Happy Builder likes this.
  10. goldwise

goldwise Active Member

Perhaps if we'd all been told that our meters were being updated with these clever devices, the rollout could have been simpler.

There's been so much suspicion and distrust, some caused by the problems with smets1 meters, then lack of transparency over whether a smets2 would be fitted. And it's being politicised.

Sometimes I forget the reason I'm behaving like a luddite. But I'm very much not in a minority when it comes to smart meters.

11. Bob Rathbone

Bob Rathbone Screwfix Select

It may be that the tariff you have is fixed before the huge hike in energy prices, if it is just go for the smart meter to save a lot of money. I dislike smart meters but this one could save you a lot over the next 12 months, not because it's smart but because you may have fixed your electricity price at a favorable rate.

12. MGW

MGW Screwfix Select

We read about Smart meter used in rest of Europe and how they are changed depending on how much you agree as limit of supply, here we have 60 to 100 amp supply, but that is not true Europe wise, and if they draw over the agreed limit the smart meter auto disconnects.

We are told they will not use the auto disconnect feature, but we are also shown adverts where a Freddy Boswell look alike claps his hands to turn lights on/off, so we know they lie.

So no I will not have a Smart meter until forced. If they had not blatantly lied I may have believed them, but once you can see they lie, one realises there is some motive which they are not telling us about.

13. goldwise

goldwise Active Member

Yes I think the 15 month deal I took is cheaper than today, but it was quite a hike when taken. Think it runs until August next year.

Maybe agreeing to it is the least stressful as they will always be on my back if not.

14. goldwise

goldwise Active Member

If they started charging for them from say January, I suspect there'd be a rush for the free switch.

15. adgjl

adgjl Screwfix Select

True, but before Smart Meters they used low-value mcbs to auto-disconnect. The improvement is that Smart Meters do not require a site visit to reset. The UK do a similar thing with some commercial tariffs, where if you take too much in a 30 minute demand period, you get a large bill. Maximum Demand tariffs were around long before Smart Meters, although the UK tended to leave the supply on. Smart Meters have been used without issue on commercial tariffs since the early 90s.

16. Surely auto disconnect is only a problem if you don't intend to pay your bill?

17. Jimbo

Jimbo Screwfix Select

I find the negative sentiment quite odd as it’s just a meter with finer resolution and less hassle (provided it works properly) that gives access to a far wider range of tariffs.

18. GS63

GS63 Active Member

We've been refusing a smart meter because I spent time building a cupboard to box in our existing meter & I don't want to rip it out to fit a larger replacement meter. ( We live in a small house so do our best to maximise space ). But maybe smart meters are smaller now?

The contrarian in me also finds it good sport to refuse to co operate with these corporate t**ts.

Hans_25 likes this.
  19. stevie22

stevie22 Screwfix Select

I find myself agreeing with your second thought!

My supplier was forever on the phone trying to tell me I had to change as the government wanted it to happen, then that I would save money. Eventually I lost the plot and told them in no uncertain terms that as a Chartered Engineer I was actually aware that having lights on that I didn't need was costing money. I did not need a weird gadget of uncertain reliability sitting on the table telling me my meter was turning. I told them to put an entry on my record that the next call to try to sell me a smart meter would prompt a supplier change.

Wonder of wonders this worked and I haven't had a call in quite a few years. Even more wonder of wonder was that SWMBO who generally has a hissy fit at such telephonic strops was in total agreement!!!

20. Jimbo

Jimbo Screwfix Select

Smart meters should reduce overall cost of supply by eliminating meter readers, which surely would benefit us all. But hey.