20 Amp Radial Circuit

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Jon Butterworth, Oct 28, 2021.

1. Jon Butterworth

Jon Butterworth New Member

This is in relation to my other post but is more of a direct question so I thought it may be better as it's own thread.

I have a 20 amp feed from the consumer unit to the garage by way of an armoured cable. It goes into a fused switch, where the feed for the sockets goes straight through, and the feed into the switch and out is fused at 3 amp for the lights.

The sockets are then daisy chained to a number of 14 sockets (over kill, but it's not for the load it's more location), and the lights are daisy chained to 8 strip lights.

As per my other thread, I want to power some garden lights to the tune of under 1 amp draw (way under in reality).

Can I safely take a 3 amp fused spur off the supply from the garage to then daisy chain the garden lights from that supply? It won't be a spur off a spur.. it'll be two 3 amp spurs off a 20amp supply.

2. MGW

MGW Screwfix Select

I hate the "can I" we have no idea of your skill or where you live within the UK. So I will consider that your asking could a scheme member instead.

And the answer has to be yes.

3. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

As before, yes. Providing the load on the garage is not at maximum. The lights don’t take much.
    Your garage circuit is a radial. You don’t need to worry about having a chain of sockets, that is the benefit of a radial circuit. There is no such thing as a spur from a radial. Sometimes they are called a branch.

4. Jon Butterworth

Jon Butterworth New Member

Thanks for the help guys. Problem solved. I'll put a fused switch in the garage & feed everything from there.

Bazza likes this.